Re: [Czechlist] TERM: activace

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2001
      >as usual, I'm doing a Czech-to-English translation and I have this word
      >"aktivace" in the accounting sense. Aliberto Caforio's dictionary gives
      ><activation> and <capitalisation>, but I mostly want to ask about the word
      >from Robert Mladek's book, Svetove ucenictvi, which is <revenuisation>. The
      >word sounds OK, however, should I rely on my World Wide Web search, I would
      >say that Robert Mladek is the only person using the word; that's fishy. Is
      >that the wrong spelling (quite likely in that book) or is the word utter
      >trash? What do you recommend to use? The document is a small company's (30
      >people) guideline about financial planning and the word is used in the name
      >of a planning item meaning valuation (basically cost accounting) of the
      >company's finished products.

      Well, expenditures that are "aktivierungsfähig" in German are
      "inventoriable" in English. It's the same concept, but I don't know
      if the verb or verbal noun forms are used. If I'm not mistaken, at
      least in Czech practice the term is associated with internally
      manufactured production assets as opposed to goods manufactured for
      sale.

      Michael

      Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
    • Zdenek Mikan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
        Can anybody explain this term? The context is:

        In my position I have a catbird seat on new and emerging technologies.

        Thanks in advance.

        Zdenek Mikan
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
          In a message dated 8/1/01 6:19:35 AM, zdenek@... writes:

          >In my position I have a catbird seat on new and emerging technologies.

          To be in the catbird seat means that you are in top position, looking far
          down on all your competitors. There's a sense that no one is even close to
          being able to compete with you effectively, and there's also a sense that you
          are relaxed and contented in that advantageous position.

          Jamie
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
            > >In my position I have a catbird seat on new and emerging technologies.
            >
            > To be in the catbird seat means that you are in top position, looking
            > far down on all your competitors. There's a sense that no one is even
            > close to being able to compete with you effectively, and there's also
            > a sense that you are relaxed and contented in that advantageous
            > position.

            Just to give you a sense of why the phrase means what it does, I am
            reproducing this e-mail (by one Bob), which I found on the Net:

            ---
            The catbird (scientific name: dumetella carolinensis) is relatively common
            in the the southern U.S., a dark gray bird with a black cap. It is related
            to the mockingbird, and is aggressively territorial, driven by instinct to
            secure a place at the top of the tallest tree in its territory. From
            there, it can scout out all invaders. The dictionaries list the earliest
            usage of "sittin' in the catbird seat" as 1942, but I can go one further
            and tell you that it was popularized by the late Red Barber, the great
            baseball announcer, raconteur, and Southern gentleman. He may or may not
            have originated it, but the phrase wll be forever associated with him.
            ---

            Simon