Re: nuceny spravce

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., Sabina Králová <Sabina.Kralova@c...>
      wrote:

      > > Hi everybody,
      > >
      > > Would you know, please, what to use for "nuceny spravce"?
      (receiver -
      > > according to the dictionary??) Thanks Sabina

      Hi Sabina,

      In the banking sector at least, the term used by the Bank for
      International Settlements (the central banker's central bank) is
      "conservator" (and "conservatorship" for nucena sprava).

      I often see the term translated as "forced administrator", which
      sounds a bit Czenglish to me.

      A receiver is rather different to a conservator.

      According to my banking dictionary:
      A conservator is appointed by the supervisory authority to oversee
      the assets of a troubled bank (e.g. IPB) while a permanent solution
      to its financial problems is worked out (e.g. IPB's sale to CSOB).

      A bank (or any business) declared to be insolvent is placed under the
      control of a receiver and its assets sold to pay its creditors. So, a
      receiver acts as agent for a debtor in bankruptcy.

      What's your context?

      Regards,
      Simon
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., zehrovak@d... wrote:

        > The property subject to bankruptcy proceedings constitutes the
        > bankrupt estate which is administered by the bankruptcy trustee
        (also
        > referred to as the 'trustee in bankruptcy' or the 'administrator of
        > the bankruptcy estate').
        >
        > Elsewhere I have seen 'liquidator', 'receiver', and 'referee in
        > bankruptcy' for 'spravce konkurzni podstaty'.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > M.

        To my knowledge, "receiver", "liquidator" and "trustee in bankruptcy"
        are broadly synonymous to the layman. However, they each have
        different legalistic definitions, and those definitions vary from
        nation to nation. So it is very difficult to find exact equivalents
        for the Czech term, especially as the Czech bankruptcy law and
        process is very different to that in the UK or USA, for example.

        "Receiver" sounds like a safe one-size-fits-all term to me (for
        bankruptcy proceedings, not for bank conservatorship).

        Simon
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
          >I often see the term translated as "forced administrator", which
          >sounds a bit Czenglish to me.

          I agree (and also generally use "conservatorship/conservator"),
          although "Business Central Europe", a publication I respect,
          regularly uses "forced administration" for "nucená správa".

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954