Re: Mass, weight

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
      > > Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
      > > "molecular weight"?
      >
      > Mass. We had some confusion between "molar mass" and "molecular
      mass",
      > but it was always mass, not weight.
      >
      > Rachel

      Interesting. Molecular mass sounds quite alien to me, although I've
      nothing against it. It seems those few short months between us have
      seen significant changes.

      I suggest that anyone wishing to find out the currently approved
      nomenclature visit the IUPAC site
      http://www.iupac.org/reports/1993/homann/index.html

      BTW this gives both molecular mass and molecular weight (mind you, it
      was last updated in 1993 - what have they been doing since then?)

      Simon, enjoying this trip down (failing-)memory lane