Re: [Czechlist] Re: Mass, weight

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
      > Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
      > "molecular weight"?

      Mass. We had some confusion between "molar mass" and "molecular mass",
      but it was always mass, not weight.

      Rachel
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
        > > Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
        > > "molecular weight"?
        >
        > Mass. We had some confusion between "molar mass" and "molecular
        mass",
        > but it was always mass, not weight.
        >
        > Rachel

        Interesting. Molecular mass sounds quite alien to me, although I've
        nothing against it. It seems those few short months between us have
        seen significant changes.

        I suggest that anyone wishing to find out the currently approved
        nomenclature visit the IUPAC site
        http://www.iupac.org/reports/1993/homann/index.html

        BTW this gives both molecular mass and molecular weight (mind you, it
        was last updated in 1993 - what have they been doing since then?)

        Simon, enjoying this trip down (failing-)memory lane