Aargh, chemistry!

  • Dusan Papousek
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
      Dear Simon,
      do not use "yield" in this context, "yield" is used in chemistry in the
      following context : "yield of a chemical reaction = vytezek chemicke reakce"
      (see also the comment from Karel). In your context, it's better to use
      "amount", although "quantity" is basically correct but see further.
      According to the SNTL Czech-English Chemical Dictionary: mnozstvi = amount,
      quantity, e.g. adsorbed amount, total amount, overall amount, indicator
      amount, trace amount (stopove mnozstvi). "Quantity" is used for "velicina"
      both in chemistry and physics or in technological disciplines : A quantity
      is a technical term for things that can be measured, such as length, mass
      and time. For example, when translating "Fyzikalni veliciny, ktere
      charakterisuji stav systemu...", you should say "Physical quantities that
      characterize the state of a system..." and the term "quantity" is the only
      one you can use here.
      I would not use "fraction" for "mnozstvi" because "fraction" means "podil",
      e.g. in chemistry is frequently used in the context "destilacni podil" in
      the sense "part of something". However, it's tempting to use the term
      "fraction" in your context because of this unhappy "unit" mg/g.
      Nevertheless, I would translate your sentence as "The amount of components
      is given in mass units in mg/g of the tested sample", if it means that the
      amount of components was given in mg (miligrams) and related to the amount
      of the tested sample in g (grams).

      D.P.

      Simon the Chemist wrote:

      I would welcome your informed opinions on how to translate "mnozstvi"
      in the following context:

      "Mnozstvi komponent jsou uvadena v hmotnostni jednotkach v mg/g
      zkouseneho vzorku."

      It sounds like "yields" to me. Can anyone confirm or correct this?
    • Tony Long
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
        Perfect. Couldn't have said it better meself, so I didn't.

        Tony
        Whose first-ever real job was mixing krtek-perfect solutions for unappreciative M.Sc. students.
        Aargh, chemistry!

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
          Docela by mne zajimalo, jestli se v anglictine ujalo vedecky
          spravnejsi "mass", nebo jestli chemici dodnes pouzivaji
          beznejsi "weight". Byl jsem zvykly prekladat "hmotnost" jako "weight"
          (napriklad "wt.%") ale trebas je to uz dnes zastarale. (Rachel to asi
          bude vedet.)
          S pozdravem Petr
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Dusan Papousek" <Papousek@m...> wrote:
          > > Nevertheless, I would translate your sentence as "The amount of
          components
          > is given in mass units in mg/g of the tested sample",
        • Simon Vollam
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
            Morning List,

            Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions.

            It turns out - as I expected - that the author was referring to the
            mass of a particular gas produced by burning a known amount of
            material (for example, mg of HCN per g of polyurethane foam). This is
            commonly referred to in combustion science as the yield. I agree that
            it is not a yield in the normal chemistry context, i.e. the amount of
            a substance actually produced in a chemical reaction relative to the
            amount predicted theoretically from the reaction stoichiometry. But
            it's a similar concept.

            The author tells me that he wished to stress the fact that it was a
            mass of gas, and not the volume concentration in air. However, I
            wonder whether "vytezek" has a narrower scientific meaning in Czech
            than "yield" does in English. BTW I agree that "amount" is more
            appropriate than "quantity" in this context.

            To answer the mass-vs-weight query, I was always taught that,
            strictly speaking, mass is measured in grammes whereas weight (being
            a force) is measured in Newtons. A man on the moon, for example,
            weighs much less than on earth, but his mass is the same regardless
            of location (relativistic considerations aside).

            On the other hand, strictly speaking one should say "ethanol", not
            "ethyl alcohol", but who cares? Not many chemists do their
            experiments extraterrestrially, and one often sees "weight" used in
            scientific papers as a synonym for mass, especially outside physics.

            Enough, enough. I'm an economist now.

            Thanks again,

            Simon
          • Rachel Thompson
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
              > Docela by mne zajimalo, jestli se v anglictine ujalo vedecky
              > spravnejsi "mass", nebo jestli chemici dodnes pouzivaji
              > beznejsi "weight". Byl jsem zvykly prekladat "hmotnost" jako "weight"
              > (napriklad "wt.%") ale trebas je to uz dnes zastarale. (Rachel to asi
              > bude vedet.)

              Hi Petr,

              In normal speech, weight is still the commoner way of expressing what is
              more correctly termed mass. But I've never used it as an equivalent for
              mass in a chemical text. Until now, I'd have said that that usage was
              out of date, but checking for "weight percent" on Google does bring up
              14,000 hits, so I guess it is still used (perhaps especially in
              America). We always used percentage mass in Britain.

              Rachel
            • Simon Vollam
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
                We always used percentage mass in Britain.

                I'm not sure we always did. Things are much more standardised now,
                though.

                Simon
              • Rachel Thompson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                  > I'm not sure we always did. Things are much more standardised now,
                  > though.

                  Then I suppose it must be a very recent standardisation -- you're not
                  that much older than me, are you? By the time we started doing
                  percentage mass calculations at A-level, everything was "mass" in all
                  the course literature, and I'd never heard of this "weight percent"
                  until I looked it up this morning.

                  But to Petr and others who are wondering what to use, I'd suggest that
                  mass is probably the safer bet, since it is more strictly correct.
                  Would you go along with that?

                  Rachel
                • Simon Vollam
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
                    > > I'm not sure we always did. Things are much more standardised now,
                    > > though.
                    >
                    > Then I suppose it must be a very recent standardisation -- you're
                    not
                    > that much older than me, are you?

                    No, only a couple of months older, I would estimate. Seriously,
                    though, I think the SI/IUPAC standardisation efforts have only
                    recently begun to bite. When I was studying chemistry in the late
                    1980s, many of the older professors got decided uppity when we
                    corrected their "antiquated" terminology.

                    Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
                    "molecular weight"?

                    > But to Petr and others who are wondering what to use, I'd suggest
                    that
                    > mass is probably the safer bet, since it is more strictly correct.
                    > Would you go along with that?

                    Yes indeed, as a rule of thumb. But don't be too surprised if some
                    grey-haired chemist tries to correct you!

                    Simon
                  • Rachel Thompson
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                      > Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
                      > "molecular weight"?

                      Mass. We had some confusion between "molar mass" and "molecular mass",
                      but it was always mass, not weight.

                      Rachel
                    • Simon Vollam
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
                        > > Just out of interest,were you taught to use "molecular mass" or
                        > > "molecular weight"?
                        >
                        > Mass. We had some confusion between "molar mass" and "molecular
                        mass",
                        > but it was always mass, not weight.
                        >
                        > Rachel

                        Interesting. Molecular mass sounds quite alien to me, although I've
                        nothing against it. It seems those few short months between us have
                        seen significant changes.

                        I suggest that anyone wishing to find out the currently approved
                        nomenclature visit the IUPAC site
                        http://www.iupac.org/reports/1993/homann/index.html

                        BTW this gives both molecular mass and molecular weight (mind you, it
                        was last updated in 1993 - what have they been doing since then?)

                        Simon, enjoying this trip down (failing-)memory lane