Re: TERM: vytipovat / vytypovat

  • Jan Rožek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      Hi all,

      Melvyn wrote:
      Another question. Would you ever use vytypovat in this sense instead
      of vytipovat? :)

      Actually, when you mention it, I remember reading in a newspaper language column some years ago that the spelling depended on the meaning :

      "vytypovat" for a choice based on some previousůy given criteria, or arrived at after an analysis (that would be the "identification")

      and "tipovat/vytipovat" for a random choice

      But that was at the time when the expression first started to crop up frequently and people were not sure how to spell it. (And before the new spelling rules.) Now you all have used "vytipovat" without hesitation - I'd like to ask if you ever write "vytypovat", in any sense ?

      ( Melvyn, did you write "y" because of the "type" of the engine ? )

      Thank you

      Jan Rozek