Re: [Czechlist] Music expressions (cross-posted)

  • Vladimir Vitvar
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
      > Can anyone help me with the passage between asterisks below? From a
      > review of a music CD:
      >
      > ... takz'e si vytvor'il zvuk naprosto odlis'ny od toho, co jsme
      > be'z'ne' zvykli slychat. Namisto ohn'ivych rytmu°, *s'te'kavych
      > pr'iznavek sborovych dechu° a amaterskeho neume'telstvi
      > vynahrazovaneho nespoutanou z'ivoc'is'nosti* zde perkuse jen ne'z'ne'
      > pot'ukavaji....

      Wondering if I can be helpful with what I've got to say :) Although I have
      no idea what a pro musician would say to mean 'stekave priznavky', I know
      precisely what (s)he means. Pretty sure you can make out 'stekavych', but my
      suggestion is to say 'hiccup'. And 'priznavky' is a kind of expression when
      you don't play in sync with the beat, but rather *support* with a chord in
      the unstressed beats. It is not exactly a syncope (though this would do if
      the context is jazzy), but like in a waltz, it is what most instruments play
      on the second and third beat. Got me?

      'sborove dechy' is a 'brass section', I'm sure.

      To sum up, if you write 'brass section hiccup syncopes' (provided it sounds
      English to you), you wouldn't be far from the truth.

      Hope this helps.

      Vladimir Vitvar
      v.vitvar@...
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
        >Wondering if I can be helpful with what I've got to say :) Although I have
        >no idea what a pro musician would say to mean 'stekave priznavky', I know
        >precisely what (s)he means. Pretty sure you can make out 'stekavych', but my
        >suggestion is to say 'hiccup'. And 'priznavky' is a kind of expression when
        >you don't play in sync with the beat, but rather *support* with a chord in
        >the unstressed beats. It is not exactly a syncope (though this would do if
        >the context is jazzy), but like in a waltz, it is what most instruments play
        >on the second and third beat. Got me?

        Thanks! I ended up putting "Instead of fiery rhythms, syncopated
        hiccups from the brass section, and amateurish but passionately
        animalistic musicianship, here the percussions (although often
        numerous) just gently tap away...".

        Michael

        8325 Emerald Hills Way #518
        North Richland Hills, TX 76180, USA
        Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239
        Fax/Modem (+1-817) 514-6413
        mailto:bdanube@...
        http://www.bdanube.com
      • Vladimir Vitvar
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2000
          > >Wondering if I can be helpful with what I've got to say :) Although I
          have
          > >no idea what a pro musician would say to mean 'stekave priznavky', I know
          > >precisely what (s)he means. Pretty sure you can make out 'stekavych', but
          my
          > >suggestion is to say 'hiccup'. And 'priznavky' is a kind of expression
          when
          > >you don't play in sync with the beat, but rather *support* with a chord
          in
          > >the unstressed beats. It is not exactly a syncope (though this would do
          if
          > >the context is jazzy), but like in a waltz, it is what most instruments
          play
          > >on the second and third beat. Got me?
          >
          > Thanks! I ended up putting "Instead of fiery rhythms, syncopated
          > hiccups from the brass section, and amateurish but passionately
          > animalistic musicianship, here the percussions (although often
          > numerous) just gently tap away...".
          >
          > Michael

          BINGO! :) Well done.

          Vladimir Vitvar