Re: ISSUE: Hyphens (was: Wellness industry)

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 7, 2001
      Just three points on the recent discussions, before I plunge on with
      what I actually should be doing.

      (1) "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" (Oxford
      University Press style manual). Actually, as regards usage I'm
      generally with the other Simon on this one.

      (2) Agreed, "wellness" is actually bloody awful. The fact that I came
      across it first in a Czech document makes me feel that I've been in
      the CR too long.

      (3) Does anyone actually feel the same dislike as me for "CR" as a
      lazy abbreviation for "Czech Republic"?

      (4) (OK, four points, actually) - Can anyone explain why so many
      texts I receive for correction are loaded with double
      spaces between words (not to mention that nasty ´ character)?

      Simon Volume
      Looking forward to the Chinese nosh-up this evening, apparently
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 7, 2001
        In a message dated 6/7/01 3:28:23 AM, simon.vollam@... writes:

        >(3) Does anyone actually feel the same dislike as me for "CR" as a
        >lazy abbreviation for "Czech Republic"?

        I don't dislike it half as much as when people refer to the whole country as
        "Czech". Even the bottles of Prazdroj that I got at my local party store
        here in Detroit say that the beer comes from "Pilsen * Czech".

        >(4) (OK, four points, actually) - Can anyone explain why so many
        > texts I receive for correction are loaded with double
        >spaces between words (not to mention that nasty ´ character)?

        Because you are not punishing anyone for it.

        Can you tell me why, when my clients in Marianky sent a translation to some
        agency and it came back in incomprehensible English, and I had to correct it,
        the translator who could not write in English then complained that I had
        filled her text with "Americanisms"?

        Jamie
      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 7, 2001
          > >(4) (OK, four points, actually) - Can anyone explain why so
          many
          > > texts I receive for correction are loaded with double
          > >spaces between words (not to mention that nasty ´ character)?
          >
          > Because you are not punishing anyone for it.

          Aha! Can you suggest some suitable penalties?

          > Can you tell me why, when my clients in Marianky sent a translation
          to some
          > agency and it came back in incomprehensible English, and I had to
          correct it,
          > the translator who could not write in English then complained that
          I had
          > filled her text with "Americanisms"?
          >
          > Jamie

          Yes, over the past few years I've come across several Americans
          tearing their hair out over similar remarks. Oddly enough, I've never
          heard of a British editor being accused of adding "Britishisms" (what
          a weird word that is, now I see it written before me!), although I
          must have heard every other spurious complaint in the book.

          Don't get me started on the soul-destroying nature of correcting. A
          thankless and joyless task.

          Simon
        • zehrovak@dr.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 7, 2001
            --- In Czechlist@y..., JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 6/6/01 1:32:55 PM, zehrovak@d... writes:
            >
            > >> I feel as if I am the only person in the world who still uses
            hyphens
            > >> (where appropriate) in compound nouns functioning adjectivally.
            It really
            > >> ought to be "health-care industry" (or even "healthcare
            industry"), but I
            > >> don't think anyone else cares. :-(
            >
            > >Anyway, isn't this a difference in British and American style?
            >
            > No.

            A couple of items from American sources that you may find of
            interest:

            http://kevinorf.tripod.com/vol__2,_issue_2.htm

            - open compound nouns that are widely accepted are usually left open
            when used as adjectives, for example, health care providers.

            http://www.colorado.edu/Publications/styleguide/punctuation.html

            We prefer to follow the example of The Chicago Manual of Style: omit
            hyphens
            from adjectival compounds where there is little or no risk of
            ambiguity. ...