Re: [Czechlist] ... fizl, sefe

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 8:56 AM

      > Here, I'd say, 'sefe' fits the bill on most counts. It is mockingly
      > respectful and only used by a certain social stratum. It is also slightly
      > dated. (I've also seen 'guvernor' used for father similar to 'old man'.
      > Which of course you cannot do with 'sef'.) 'Pane' is too neutral an
      > equivalent. Although, whether 'Dostal jste me, sefe' is better than
      'Dostal
      > jste me, pane' is till an open question.
      >
      > Dominik

      As to sefe, seconded. Sefe, or s´efiku (a bit more faimilar) can be heard
      from poor educated people, workers, cab drivers - and criminals too. But
      _no_ criminal (IMHO) (and except for white collar frauds, of course) would
      say "pane". It´s too formal and a a too strange vocabulary for him. That is,
      I vote for 'Dostal jste me, sefe'.