Re: [Czechlist] Czech MSDS's

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2001
      > Thanks to everyone who provided help on this subject, especially Kostas
      and
      > rachel for their fine examples and Petr, Irena and Simon for
      > suggestions......
      >
      > What is your experience in translating these,
      >

      > a) do you tend to stick to the layout, style and set up of the original -
      > foreign document, just using the Czech names of chapters, definitions,
      etc.,
      > instead of translating what's really there (in my example, there's pearls
      > like: "Environmental fate: This product is not expected to be readily
      > biodegradable"....because it's been translated from Japanese)...
      >
      > or b) do you take the Czech "vyhlaska" (thanks for pointing it out,
      Kostas),
      > or a correct Czech Bezpecnostni list, match the data in the foreign
      original
      > and use it in the "prescribed" Czech format?
      >
      > I asked which of the two would the cleint want, I didn't want to just
      > translate what was there as some of it was obviously a mis-translation in
      > the first place, but I dodn't want to come up with a new document, albeit
      > one that would contain correct data either - if I followed the Vyhlaska
      > strictly, the result would be a perfectly legal Czech Bezpecnostni list
      and
      > probably something my client will need to get (in that form) if they want
      > import the substance, but it would look like a completely different
      document
      > from the layout.
      >
      > Because this was a weekend job, he didn't get back to me, so I did a sort
      of
      > compromise between the two, but I would like to hear your esteemed
      opinions
      > on this.
      >
      > Matej Klimes

      I would like to help you, I am experienced in MSDS; however, can you put
      your questions in a more straightforward, simpler way? I find it quite
      difficult to find out what you are really asking for.

      Kostas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2001

        > I would like to help you, I am experienced in MSDS; however, can you put
        > your questions in a more straightforward, simpler way? I find it quite
        > difficult to find out what you are really asking for.
        >
        > Kostas

        Well, I have one American, Two detailed Japanese and one very short Japanese
        MSDS's (all in English, eventhough some parts of the Japanese ones don't
        sound like it....... )

        Do I:

        a) Translate everyhting what's on them in that order, maybe correcting the
        obvious mis-translations like environmental fate? - and inevitably come up
        with four documents that are very different - different chapter names,
        definitions, layout, value names...

        or b) Do a compromise between the prescribed Czech format (half of the
        chapters and subchapters in the Czech vyhlaska do not even appear on the
        foreign documents) - Use what's there in a layout, format and terminology
        found in the vyhlaska?

        It was a more or less rhetorical question, I did b) , but was interested in
        other people experience. Obviously when my client's company wants to obtain
        the formal Czech Bezpecnostni list for Import of the stuff, they'll have to
        have it according to Vyhlaska, this was just a translation of a Japanese/US
        equivalent. Should I try to make it look like the Czech Bezpecnostni list,
        or should I just translate it and leave as is?

        Matej Klimes - MK Photo
        www.mkphoto.cz

        tel: ++420 - 602 - 220 379
        fax: ++420 - 2 - 22 51 62 02
        Email: mklimes@...
        mklimes@...
        SMS via Email: ++420602220379@...

        Portfolio: www.mkphoto.cz/portfolio.htm
        Photojournalism: www.mkphoto.cz/stories.htm

        NEW!!! World Champions: http://www.mkphoto.cz/worldchamps.htm
        Czech TV Crisis: www.mkphoto.cz/cztv.htm

      • otto@pacholik.cz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2001
          > or b) Do a compromise between the prescribed Czech format (half of
          the
          > chapters and subchapters in the Czech vyhlaska do not even appear
          on the
          > foreign documents) - Use what's there in a layout, format and
          terminology
          > found in the vyhlaska?
          >
          > It was a more or less rhetorical question, I did b) , but was

          I'd proceed in a similar way. If the client wants a Safety Data Sheet
          for approval he has to pay for the adjustment to Czech standards.
          Translation is one thing and consulting services another one.

          Otto
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2001
            > Do I:
            >
            > a) Translate everyhting what's on them in that order, maybe correcting the
            > obvious mis-translations like environmental fate? - and inevitably come up
            > with four documents that are very different - different chapter names,
            > definitions, layout, value names...
            >
            > or b) Do a compromise between the prescribed Czech format (half of the
            > chapters and subchapters in the Czech vyhlaska do not even appear on the
            > foreign documents) - Use what's there in a layout, format and terminology
            > found in the vyhlaska?
            >
            > It was a more or less rhetorical question, I did b) , but was interested
            in
            > other people experience. Obviously when my client's company wants to
            obtain
            > the formal Czech Bezpecnostni list for Import of the stuff, they'll have
            > have it according to Vyhlaska, this was just a translation of a
            Japanese/US
            > equivalent. Should I try to make it look like the Czech Bezpecnostni list,
            > or should I just translate it and leave as is?

            Matej, this is a good question you are asking. When I translate MSDS, I
            basically "just" translate them, using the Czech law as the resource of
            Czech terms to be used for this purpose. I myself do not know whether the
            Czech law requies to adhere ONLY to certain terminology, ONLY to certain
            layout and/or ONLY to certain format. However, this is very justified
            concern. As Otto points out, to comply with certain terminology, layout and
            format goes beyond the translation task. There are several Czech consulting
            firms you may find on Google that prepare MSDS, and they might give you a
            general advice how to proceed with MSDS originated in different languages.

            Kostas