Re: [Czechlist] Legal term - URGENT, please help

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
      Afternoon, Alena and Melvyn.

      > > "vecne a mistne prislusny soud"
      >
      > "The court appropriate to the location and the type of case"
      >
      > Any improvements, anybody??

      Wouldn't "jurisdiction" cover both ideas:

      "the court that has jurisdiction (over the case)"?

      Simon
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
        >"vecne a mistne prislusny soud"

        Co "[a|the] court having subject matter and personal jurisdiction"? Mozna,
        ze bych mel hned pridat, ze vyraz "*personal* jurisdiction" v anglictine
        znamena, ze soud je *mistne* prislusny.

        "The simplest purpose is to provide an alternative to dismissal for lack of
        personal or subject matter jurisdiction."
        http://www.law.upenn.edu/bll/ulc/fnact99/1990s/utla91.htm

        "There are two distinct forms of jurisdiction that are relevant in any case
        viz. 'personal jurisdiction' and 'subject matter jurisdiction'. . . .
        As discussed above, generally a court must possess both personal and
        subject matter jurisdiction to determine any case."
        http://www.bileta.ac.uk/98papers/dutson.html

        "Personal jurisdiction is the power of a court or similar tribunal over an
        individual or over property. Unless a court has both subject matter and
        personal jurisdiction, its judgments are not legally effective. . . .
        with process while physically within the territory of the state,<<<<< and
        also are given jurisdiction over any property physically located within the
        territorial limits of the state when that property is attached."
        http://mantle.sbs.umass.edu/vmag/PJ2.HTM

        Temi >> << oznacuji vysvetleni toho, ze slovo "personal" znamena taky
        "mistne" v tom pripade. Tak se nemusi nekdo bat toho, ze jeden system si
        zvolil pridavne jmeno "personal", zatimco druhe si zvolil pridavne jmeno
        "mistne". V obou pripadech, jde hlavne o to, zda existuje prislusny vztah
        mezi obvinenym i teritorii kde je soud.

        Michael Trittipo
        Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
        mailto:tritt002@...
      • Alena Jetelinova
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
          Thank you, Simon and Melvyn, for finding a bit of time to help me out. I
          really appreciate it.

          "The court appropriate to the location and the type of case" sounds really
          good to me, I am going to use it.

          Have a great weekend everyone!!

          Alena

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • zehrovak@dr.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2001
            --- In Czechlist@y..., Alena Jetelinova <a_jetelinova@y...> wrote:
            > Thank you, Simon and Melvyn, for finding a bit of time to help me
            out. I
            > really appreciate it.
            >
            > "The court appropriate to the location and the type of case" sounds
            really
            > good to me, I am going to use it.

            ACTually, I reckon Simon and Michael's solution sounds better in
            formal contexts.

            Melvyn
          • David Fuchs
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
              I very much appreciate your help,
              Simon, Melvyn, Tony and Michael (in order of appearance on my screen).
              T h a n k s

              David
              !°-°! (busy)