THANKS: TERM: aktualnost

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Thanks go to Melvyn and Otto for helping me through a difficult time.
      I particularly liked Melvyn's active/inactive suggestion - suitably
      vague and a whole lot better than "topicality", "validity" and
      "relevance". My feeling is that "platnost" is too specific in this
      context. The documents being stored are mostly routine paperwork
      (such as copies of letters), so they don't have a well-defined or
      inherent period of validity.

      So
      > "pozbyt na aktualnosti"
      > "po uplynuti administrativni aktualnosti"
      > "pred skonceni aktualnost"
      had to be turned around somewhat, e.g. "when the document no longer
      has active status". (Somebody then has to decide whether it can be
      shredded or whether it should be sent to the archive for long-term
      storage.)

      > "kazda instituce je povninna provadet predarchivni pece"
      Here I went for: "every institution is required to operate a system
      of 'pre-archiving'".

      > "prirucni spisovny"
      For this I used "reference registries", based on Melvyn's suggestion
      (although I removed the reference to archive so as to avoid confusion
      with the archive itself).

      Simon