Material Safety Data Sheet

    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2001
      Thanks again for all contract terminology suggestions from last
      nights........

      Now I have something far more interesting: four Material Safety Data Sheets
      from Japan, of all places, translated from Japan to - very broken english -
      English..........I have to come up with the Czech equivalent.......

      I haven't had a lot of experience with these, is there a regular Czech term,
      Materialovy list, Materialovz bezpecnostni list? for that type of document?
      (It tells you what the chem. composition is, what to do when it catches
      fire, what to do when you swallow a bit, etc.)

      I would also apreciate if anybody has a Czech equivalent of one of these on
      their hard drive so that I get the terminology right, you can send it to me
      as an attachment off the list - TIA

      I'm checking the chem lingo with a friend of mine who's a chemical engineer,
      but because of the funny English I laso have a few points which are more or
      less linguistical, feel free to give me ideas for the following if you have
      a bit of time:

      There's alot of abbreviations toward the end, some of which I was able to
      decipher on Google, pasting up the full name in [] in those cases for other
      people's reference:

      I would appreciate any thoughts on Czech usual equivalents for some of
      these:

      NAZVOSLOVI SAFETY SHEET:

      exposure limits, ingredients which have exposure limits.......

      Flash point (nejak teplota vzplanuti??) . 200 st C pro olej pro tu
      teplotu: Method: Tag closed cup

      [FLPT Flash Point

      This is defined as the lowest temperature at which vapors above a volatile
      combustible substance will ignite in air when exposed to a flame. Depending
      on the test method used, the values given are either Tag closed cup (C.C.)
      (ASTM D56) or Cleveland open cup (O.C.) (ASTM D93). The values, along with
      the flammable limits and autoignition temperature those in 6.2 and 6.7
      below, give an indication of the relative flammability of the chemical. In
      general, the open cup value is about 10 to 15 deg. F higher than the closed
      cup value.

      As the information given is numeric data, it is not particularly useful to
      search in and so no search example is given.]

      Explosive limits: Lower 1 % vol, upper 7 % vol (% by volume in air)

      Hazardous decomposition limits

      kapitola (15) REGULATORY INFORMATION popisuje na jakych "regulatory lists"
      produkt vzskztuje, t.j. jake predstavuje nebezpeci, napr. This product
      contains a chemical known to state of California to cause Cancer.......

      Pour point (tohle je z tech japonskych listu, asi spatny preklad), pro olej
      je to - 20 stupnu C

      Volatile organic compound (EPA method 24)

      Specific gravity

      Vapor pressure

      Vapor density

      Oxidizing and reducting agents

      v kapitole ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION polozka Environmental fate: material is
      not expected to be readily biodegradable - je pro tu kategorii nejaky
      ustaleny cesky termin (spatny prejklad v originale)

      Zkratky, jenom kdybys nahodou nektere znal, jinak se s tim nezdrzuj:

      This product fits the ACGIH definition for mineral oil mist.

      [ACGIH: American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists]

      The ACGIH TLV is 5mg/m3, the OSHA PEL is 5 mg/m3

      [TLV: Threshold Limit Value]

      [Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) ]

      PEL is still eluding me, anybody?

      This components are included in U.S. TSCA Inventory

      [TSCA: Toxic Substances Control Act]

      This component is listed as a SARA Section 313 Toxic Chemical

      SARA - can't find what it means???????

      [Pursuant to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA)
      Hazard Communication (HAZCOM) standard]

      Ventilation: Sufficient to maintain vapor concentration below TLV.

      Recommended methods of disposal: Incinerate following EPA and local
      regulations.

      EPA Hazardous waste number: NH - Not a RCRA Hazardous Waste Material

      [EPA: US Environmental Protection Agency]

      [Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)]

      Product name: TAT STAMP INK M - 400 > Razitkova nebo znackovaci barva, ale
      co je TAT????

      Acute Toxicity (RTECS)

      [Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS)]

      Thanks and enjoy

      Matej Klimes

      Matej Klimes - MK Photo
      www.mkphoto.cz

      tel: ++420 - 602 - 220 379
      fax: ++420 - 2 - 22 51 62 02
      Email: mklimes@...
      mklimes@...
      SMS via Email: ++420602220379@...

      Portfolio: www.mkphoto.cz/portfolio.htm
      Photojournalism: www.mkphoto.cz/stories.htm

      NEW!!! World Champions: http://www.mkphoto.cz/worldchamps.htm
      Czech TV Crisis: www.mkphoto.cz/cztv.htm
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2001
        I am sending you a link to Czech law that regulates MSDS. It includes
        terminology and a sample of Czech MSDS as well. MSDS is called "Bezpecnostni
        list".

        http://www.sagit.cz/_texty/sb99027.htm

        K.
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2001
          Thanks, Kostas, great resource!

          Matej

          > I am sending you a link to Czech law that regulates MSDS. It includes
          > terminology and a sample of Czech MSDS as well. MSDS is called
          "Bezpecnostni
          > list".
          >
          > http://www.sagit.cz/_texty/sb99027.htm
          >
          > K.

        • Simon Vollam
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi Matej,

            If you need more help with these fire safety terms, I suggest you
            call the Technicky ustav pozarni ochrany down in Modrany (where I
            used to work). The number is 401 88 11. Ask for Otto Dvorak - he's
            their flash point expert and a very helpful chap to boot. Please wish
            him well on my behalf if you talk to him.

            Simon

            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
            > Thanks again for all contract terminology suggestions from last
            > nights........
            >
            > Now I have something far more interesting: four Material Safety
            Data Sheets
            > from Japan, of all places, translated from Japan to - very broken
            english -
            > English..........I have to come up with the Czech equivalent.......

          • Irena Steinerova
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
              Ahoj Mateji,

              zde je par navrhu (Elman/Michalicek - Tech. slov.):

              pour point: teplota/bod stuhnuti (oleje)

              flash point: bod/teplota vzplanuti (vzniceni)

              SARA - nema to byt SAR (safety analysis report) ??

              Irena

              Pøedmìt: [Czechlist] Material Safety Data Sheet

            • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
                Explosive limits jsou meze vybusnosti, hazardous decomposition limits
                budou zrejme meze nebezpecneho rozkladu, volatile organic compound je
                tekava organicka sloucenina, specific gravity je merna hmotnost,
                vapor pressure je tlak (nasycenych) par, vapour density je hustota
                (nasycenych) par, oxidizing or reducing agents jsou oxidacni nebo
                redukcni cinidla. Material nepodleha snadno biodegradaci
                (biologickemu rozkladu). Incinerate following EPA ... Spaluje se
                podle postupu doporucenych EPA v souladu s mistnimi predpisy. Acute
                toxicity (RTECS) bude akutni toxicita podle definice RTECS.
                Nejsem si jist, jestli ses na to vlastne ptal, nebo to byla jenom
                ilustrace.
                Zdravi Petr Adamek