TERM: aktualnost

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2001
      I could do with some bright, elegant ideas on how to translate the
      following variations on a theme:

      "pozbyt na aktualnosti"
      "po uplynuti administrativni aktualnosti"
      "pred skonceni aktualnost"
      etc.

      The terms crop up in a document on archiving of administrative
      records.

      And what about:
      "kazda instituce je povninna provadet predarchivni pece"
      and
      "prirucni spisovny" (which is where these records must by law be held
      before being archived)?

      Oh horrible, horrible Czech officialese!

      Simon
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Simon Vollam" <simon.vollam@c...> wrote:
        > I could do with some bright, elegant ideas on how to translate the
        > following variations on a theme:
        >
        > "pozbyt na aktualnosti"
        > "po uplynuti administrativni aktualnosti"
        > "pred skonceni aktualnost"
        > etc.
        >
        > The terms crop up in a document on archiving of administrative
        > records.

        I wonder if this 'aktualni' is used in the same way as 'active',
        which you often find in various archiving procedures. If so, you
        could play around with 'active status' and 'inactive status'. Plenty
        of examples on the net both for digital and paper records e.g.:

        A file or document or piece of information can change its status from
        active to inactive. A change of status will probably involve a change
        from one storage location and medium to another, but need not do so.
        It is not a hard and rule that active information is stored on-line,
        and that inactive information is stored off-line.

        http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~nd/surprise_96/journal/vol1/kwjl1/article1.ht
        ml.

        Otherwise, some other 'status' perhaps - 'current' status or
        something?

        > And what about:
        > "kazda instituce je povninna provadet predarchivni pece"

        Every establishment is required to undertake archiving preparation
        procedures?

        > and
        > "prirucni spisovny" (which is where these records must by law be
        held
        > before being archived)?

        Reference archive registry?

        > Oh horrible, horrible Czech officialese!

        Horrid, horrid, nasty officialese! Almost as horrid and boring as
        construction dictionaries.

        Melvin
      • otto@pacholik.cz
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2001
          > > I could do with some bright, elegant ideas on how to translate
          the
          > > following variations on a theme:
          > >
          > > "pozbyt na aktualnosti"
          > > "po uplynuti administrativni aktualnosti"
          > > "pred skonceni aktualnost"
          > > etc.

          I'd read it in "plain" Czech as

          pozbyt platnosti etc.

          Should it be in IT context I'go for Melvyn' suggestion.

          Otto
        • Simon Vollam
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
            Thanks go to Melvyn and Otto for helping me through a difficult time.
            I particularly liked Melvyn's active/inactive suggestion - suitably
            vague and a whole lot better than "topicality", "validity" and
            "relevance". My feeling is that "platnost" is too specific in this
            context. The documents being stored are mostly routine paperwork
            (such as copies of letters), so they don't have a well-defined or
            inherent period of validity.

            So
            > "pozbyt na aktualnosti"
            > "po uplynuti administrativni aktualnosti"
            > "pred skonceni aktualnost"
            had to be turned around somewhat, e.g. "when the document no longer
            has active status". (Somebody then has to decide whether it can be
            shredded or whether it should be sent to the archive for long-term
            storage.)

            > "kazda instituce je povninna provadet predarchivni pece"
            Here I went for: "every institution is required to operate a system
            of 'pre-archiving'".

            > "prirucni spisovny"
            For this I used "reference registries", based on Melvyn's suggestion
            (although I removed the reference to archive so as to avoid confusion
            with the archive itself).

            Simon