Re: [Czechlist] Dubbing

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
      Martin Janda wrote:

      > The series was broadcasted in the dual mode, and I used it to brush
      > up my English.

      Speaking of dual mode broadcast, I miss it with The Simpsons. I just don't
      enjoy them in the Czech dubbing version. Hope this is not too far off the
      list's topic.

      Jirka Bolech
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
        > simpleton :-), but what´s wrong with the translation? (if it´s the
        "fizl",
        > I have no problem with it). (Admitted, I did not see the gag, so I don´t
        > know the context.)

        I do not know the context either, you may have a situation when it´s right
        to translate "cop" to "fizl".
        But in general, "fizl" has peorative meaning (udavac, donasec, etc.), but
        "cop" is more general - it corresponds to "polda", which is just a slang
        expression for otherwise very important profession.
        Actually, how yould you, English native speakers, translate "fizl" into
        English? Maybe that you were so lucky that your history just did not bring
        any equivalent to it...

        Kostas