Re: [Czechlist] Dubbing

  • Todd Hammond
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
      I think the dubbers are really good
      it's the translations that are so awful

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Martin Janda <martinjanda@...>
      To: Czechlist@onelist.com <Czechlist@onelist.com>
      Date: 4. dubna 2000 16:29
      Subject: [Czechlist] Dubbing

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
        Martin Janda wrote:

        > The series was broadcasted in the dual mode, and I used it to brush
        > up my English.

        Speaking of dual mode broadcast, I miss it with The Simpsons. I just don't
        enjoy them in the Czech dubbing version. Hope this is not too far off the
        list's topic.

        Jirka Bolech
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2000
          > simpleton :-), but what´s wrong with the translation? (if it´s the
          "fizl",
          > I have no problem with it). (Admitted, I did not see the gag, so I don´t
          > know the context.)

          I do not know the context either, you may have a situation when it´s right
          to translate "cop" to "fizl".
          But in general, "fizl" has peorative meaning (udavac, donasec, etc.), but
          "cop" is more general - it corresponds to "polda", which is just a slang
          expression for otherwise very important profession.
          Actually, how yould you, English native speakers, translate "fizl" into
          English? Maybe that you were so lucky that your history just did not bring
          any equivalent to it...

          Kostas