Re: Digest Number 17

  • Dagmar Koenig
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 1999
      Hello everyone,

      A translator friend of mine just called today and asked me for help with an
      expression she does not know. She is translating something about Russian
      mafia in Central Europe, from Czech into English, and came across the
      expression "bily kun" in Czech. The context concerns the police catching a
      substantial number of mafia members, but - "Nebyli to organizatori, ale bili
      kone". Unfortunately, I don't have more context. If anyone has any
      ideas, I would appreciate hearing about them.

      Also, here is my short introduction, as have not sent one yet - although
      I've followed the list with interest:
      My name is Dagmar Koenig, and I go by Dasa. I am a Czech living currently
      in the U.S. Pacific Northwest, in Seattle. I came here in 1990. I am now
      only a part-time translator, as most of my time is taken up by caring for my
      one-year-old daughter and by working on my Ph.D. in the College of Education
      at the University of Washington. I am also a language teacher, and taught
      ESL and Czech language classes both in Prague and Seattle for the past few
      years. I really like doing translation work, and hope to have more time
      for it at some point in the future. I translated a bunch of little things
      (contracts, articles - medical, personal letters, financial documentation, a
      few short stories etc.), and one book.

      Thanks in advance for any responses regarding "bili kone", and sorry about
      disregarding diacritics.

      Best, Dasa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 1999
        Hi Dasa,

        It�s a person who serves as a "dummy" for various "scoundrels". For
        instance, if these criminals order goods from a third party, receive it and
        don�t pay the invoice (they never pay invoices), it�s the "bily kun" who
        came to the third party, ordered the goods and left his name, address and
        business license number to be invoiced at. Usually he (almost never she) is
        either of poor intelligence and/or about to die of cancer or AIDS, and
        invariably poor as a churchmouse - so no trial or bankrupcy procedure has
        any sense. In most cases he is got rid of by his more screwd and/or more
        healthy mates -or, if he is very, *very* lucky, he can end up either in
        Brazil or Bahamas.

        Greetings

        Martin

        P.S: Sorry for not introducing myself as a newbie here, but it�s about
        midnight and I still have a job to do. Next time, I promise.

        Martin Janda
        Translations & Interpreting En-Cz/Sk
        Legal/Business -Euro/Youth issues-Life Sciences-Technical
        Phone/fax : +4202 72744063
        martinjanda@...

        > A translator friend of mine just called today and asked me for help with
        an
        > expression she does not know. She is translating something about Russian
        > mafia in Central Europe, from Czech into English, and came across the
        > expression "bily kun" in Czech. The context concerns the police catching
        > substantial number of mafia members, but - "Nebyli to organizatori, ale
        bili
        > kone". Unfortunately, I don't have more context. If anyone has any
        > ideas, I would appreciate hearing about them.
        >
        > Also, here is my short introduction, as have not sent one yet - although
        > I've followed the list with interest:
        > My name is Dagmar Koenig, and I go by Dasa. I am a Czech living currently
        > in the U.S. Pacific Northwest, in Seattle. I came here in 1990. I am
        now
        > only a part-time translator, as most of my time is taken up by caring for
        my
        > one-year-old daughter and by working on my Ph.D. in the College of
        Education
        > at the University of Washington. I am also a language teacher, and taught
        > ESL and Czech language classes both in Prague and Seattle for the past few
        > years. I really like doing translation work, and hope to have more time
        > for it at some point in the future. I translated a bunch of little
        things
        > (contracts, articles - medical, personal letters, financial documentation,
        > few short stories etc.), and one book.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any responses regarding "bili kone", and sorry about
        > disregarding diacritics.
        >
        > Best, Dasa

      • Paul Sinclair
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 1999
          Perhaps cat's-paws or stooges, though I think small fry would fit the
          context better.
          Regards,
          Paul
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 1999
            "bily kun" - trochu tezke vysvetlit, sam tomu prilis nerozumim. Je to
            slangovy vyraz, neco jako nastrceny, nebo volavka, ale to porad neni presne.
            Presneji se to pouziva pro osobu, pres kterou se provadeji nekale transakce
            a vyuziva se pritom toho, ze tato osoba nebude spojovana s zadnym
            podezrenim.

            Kostas