Re: Fishes

  • Simon Vollam
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
      > Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
      Czech fishes,

      Hi Tony,

      Thanks for the fish list - an absorbing read that dovetails quite
      nicely with one of my own passions, namely food, cooking and the
      collecting of interesting recipes. A couple of years back, my father-
      in-law gave us a book of Czech fish recipes put together by a
      colleague of his who is a fishing fanatic. I had already managed to
      translate most of the fish names in there (although I confess I'd
      swallowed the "sheatfish" hook, line and sinker), and your list
      clears up a couple of the outstanding problem ones (amur and marena,
      for example).

      However, there is one fish mentioned in the cookery book which is
      absent from the Long List: mr¡enka. My Czech handbook of European
      flora and fauna (admittedly translated from German, but edited by
      numerous Ings. and the like) contains "mrenka mramorovana
      (Neomacheilus barbatulus)", which seems to equate to the "stone loach
      (Neomchilus barbatula)" mentioned in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

      Is this the right translation? Does this fish occur in Czech waters.
      And, most importantly, where can I get one and what does it taste
      like?

      Simon (a fellow English consumer of carp flesh, but don't tell anyone
      else)