Re: Fishes

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:

      >Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
      Czech fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
      light-hearted comments?

      Hi Sackman,

      Yes definitely. It would be interesting to compare it with the Fraus
      Cz<>Eng Eng<>Cz Dictionary of Fishing by Pohunek and Martin.

      >If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
      virus-check before opening.

      Email attachments are automatically discarded from Czechlist postings
      these days because they involve too much hassle both of a technical
      kind and of a kind that is too much of a hassle even to explain.
      There are several ways you can get round this. You can, of course,
      send everything in the body of a message or you can send attachments
      to the Svepomoc list or you can post them to me and I can put them up
      on the Czechlist resources site:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html . Contact me
      if you have any problems.

      Regards,

      Melvyn
    • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2001
        Pokud nenajdete jiny zpusob, jak to dat k dispozici vsem, mohl byste
        mi to poslat na adresu padamek@... ? Rozhodne bych o to mel
        zajem.
        TIA Petr Adamek
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
        > Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
        Czech
        > fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
        light-hearted
        > comments?
        >
        > I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
        it might
        > be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
        >
        > If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
        virus-check
        > before opening.
        >
        > MORAVIAE, buggerit! A favourite typo and I keep forgetting the
        automatic
        > correction doesn't work in e-mail messages.
        >
        > Sackman plus hangover
      • Mila Saskova-Pierce
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2001
          Ja bych se take zajimala o rybicky. Jestlize mi to muzete poslat na adresu
          mzs@..., budu vam vdecna. Mila z Nebrasky.

          >Pokud nenajdete jiny zpusob, jak to dat k dispozici vsem, mohl byste
          >mi to poslat na adresu padamek@... ? Rozhodne bych o to mel
          >zajem.
          >TIA Petr Adamek
          >--- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
          >> Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
          >Czech
          >> fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
          >light-hearted
          >> comments?
          >>
          >> I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
          >it might
          >> be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
          >>
          >> If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
          >virus-check
          >> before opening.
          >>
          >> MORAVIAE, buggerit! A favourite typo and I keep forgetting the
          >automatic
          >> correction doesn't work in e-mail messages.
          >>
          >> Sackman plus hangover

          >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
          University of Nebraska
          1133 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0315
          Tel: (402) 472 1336
        • Michal Ginter
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2001
            Mne by taky ten glosar zajimal. Muzete mi ho poslat na
            michalginter@...? Diky, Michal
          • zehrovak@dr.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2001
              --- In Czechlist@y..., Michal Ginter <michalginter@v...> wrote:
              > Mne by taky ten glosar zajimal. Muzete mi ho poslat na
              > michalginter@v...? Diky, Michal

              Glosar je ted k dispozici v skupine Svepomoc:

              S pozdravem,

              Melvyn
            • Mila Saskova-Pierce
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                The University of Nebraska at Lincoln searches for a visiting scholar who
                would teach Modern European History with an emphasis on Central and Czech
                history in 2001/2002. If interested, call Dr. Jessica Coop 402 472 57 44.
                Or write: jcoop1@...

                Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                University of Nebraska
                1133 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0315
                Tel: (402) 472 1336
              • Dagmar Koenig
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                  I would love to have a copy of your fishes list. If you could send the
                  file to dagmar7@...,
                  I'd appreciate it very much.
                  Thanks, Dagmar

                  >--- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
                  >> Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
                  >Czech
                  >> fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
                  >light-hearted
                  >> comments?
                  >>
                  >> I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
                  >it might
                  >> be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
                  >>
                  >> If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
                  >virus-check
                  >> before opening.
                • Simon Vollam
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
                    > Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
                    Czech fishes,

                    Hi Tony,

                    Thanks for the fish list - an absorbing read that dovetails quite
                    nicely with one of my own passions, namely food, cooking and the
                    collecting of interesting recipes. A couple of years back, my father-
                    in-law gave us a book of Czech fish recipes put together by a
                    colleague of his who is a fishing fanatic. I had already managed to
                    translate most of the fish names in there (although I confess I'd
                    swallowed the "sheatfish" hook, line and sinker), and your list
                    clears up a couple of the outstanding problem ones (amur and marena,
                    for example).

                    However, there is one fish mentioned in the cookery book which is
                    absent from the Long List: mr¡enka. My Czech handbook of European
                    flora and fauna (admittedly translated from German, but edited by
                    numerous Ings. and the like) contains "mrenka mramorovana
                    (Neomacheilus barbatulus)", which seems to equate to the "stone loach
                    (Neomchilus barbatula)" mentioned in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

                    Is this the right translation? Does this fish occur in Czech waters.
                    And, most importantly, where can I get one and what does it taste
                    like?

                    Simon (a fellow English consumer of carp flesh, but don't tell anyone
                    else)