Fishes

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2001
      Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common Czech
      fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of light-hearted
      comments?

      I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but it might
      be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.

      If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can virus-check
      before opening.

      MORAVIAE, buggerit! A favourite typo and I keep forgetting the automatic
      correction doesn't work in e-mail messages.

      Sackman plus hangover
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 5, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:

        >Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
        Czech fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
        light-hearted comments?

        Hi Sackman,

        Yes definitely. It would be interesting to compare it with the Fraus
        Cz<>Eng Eng<>Cz Dictionary of Fishing by Pohunek and Martin.

        >If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
        virus-check before opening.

        Email attachments are automatically discarded from Czechlist postings
        these days because they involve too much hassle both of a technical
        kind and of a kind that is too much of a hassle even to explain.
        There are several ways you can get round this. You can, of course,
        send everything in the body of a message or you can send attachments
        to the Svepomoc list or you can post them to me and I can put them up
        on the Czechlist resources site:
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html . Contact me
        if you have any problems.

        Regards,

        Melvyn
      • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2001
          Pokud nenajdete jiny zpusob, jak to dat k dispozici vsem, mohl byste
          mi to poslat na adresu padamek@... ? Rozhodne bych o to mel
          zajem.
          TIA Petr Adamek
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
          > Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
          Czech
          > fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
          light-hearted
          > comments?
          >
          > I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
          it might
          > be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
          >
          > If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
          virus-check
          > before opening.
          >
          > MORAVIAE, buggerit! A favourite typo and I keep forgetting the
          automatic
          > correction doesn't work in e-mail messages.
          >
          > Sackman plus hangover
        • Mila Saskova-Pierce
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2001
            Ja bych se take zajimala o rybicky. Jestlize mi to muzete poslat na adresu
            mzs@..., budu vam vdecna. Mila z Nebrasky.

            >Pokud nenajdete jiny zpusob, jak to dat k dispozici vsem, mohl byste
            >mi to poslat na adresu padamek@... ? Rozhodne bych o to mel
            >zajem.
            >TIA Petr Adamek
            >--- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
            >> Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
            >Czech
            >> fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
            >light-hearted
            >> comments?
            >>
            >> I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
            >it might
            >> be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
            >>
            >> If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
            >virus-check
            >> before opening.
            >>
            >> MORAVIAE, buggerit! A favourite typo and I keep forgetting the
            >automatic
            >> correction doesn't work in e-mail messages.
            >>
            >> Sackman plus hangover

            >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
            University of Nebraska
            1133 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0315
            Tel: (402) 472 1336
          • Michal Ginter
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2001
              Mne by taky ten glosar zajimal. Muzete mi ho poslat na
              michalginter@...? Diky, Michal
            • zehrovak@dr.com
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                --- In Czechlist@y..., Michal Ginter <michalginter@v...> wrote:
                > Mne by taky ten glosar zajimal. Muzete mi ho poslat na
                > michalginter@v...? Diky, Michal

                Glosar je ted k dispozici v skupine Svepomoc:

                S pozdravem,

                Melvyn
              • Mila Saskova-Pierce
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                  The University of Nebraska at Lincoln searches for a visiting scholar who
                  would teach Modern European History with an emphasis on Central and Czech
                  history in 2001/2002. If interested, call Dr. Jessica Coop 402 472 57 44.
                  Or write: jcoop1@...

                  Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                  University of Nebraska
                  1133 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0315
                  Tel: (402) 472 1336
                • Dagmar Koenig
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2001
                    I would love to have a copy of your fishes list. If you could send the
                    file to dagmar7@...,
                    I'd appreciate it very much.
                    Thanks, Dagmar

                    >--- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
                    >> Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
                    >Czech
                    >> fishes, translated through binomial to Czech, with a couple of
                    >light-hearted
                    >> comments?
                    >>
                    >> I wrote it for the Moravian Fishing Union and my own amusement, but
                    >it might
                    >> be useful for anyone lumbered with tourist board translations.
                    >>
                    >> If so, should I just attach it as a Word file? I'm sure you can
                    >virus-check
                    >> before opening.
                  • Simon Vollam
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2001
                      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Tony Long" <tonylong@i...> wrote:
                      > Is anyone (or the archive) interested in a list of all the common
                      Czech fishes,

                      Hi Tony,

                      Thanks for the fish list - an absorbing read that dovetails quite
                      nicely with one of my own passions, namely food, cooking and the
                      collecting of interesting recipes. A couple of years back, my father-
                      in-law gave us a book of Czech fish recipes put together by a
                      colleague of his who is a fishing fanatic. I had already managed to
                      translate most of the fish names in there (although I confess I'd
                      swallowed the "sheatfish" hook, line and sinker), and your list
                      clears up a couple of the outstanding problem ones (amur and marena,
                      for example).

                      However, there is one fish mentioned in the cookery book which is
                      absent from the Long List: mr¡enka. My Czech handbook of European
                      flora and fauna (admittedly translated from German, but edited by
                      numerous Ings. and the like) contains "mrenka mramorovana
                      (Neomacheilus barbatulus)", which seems to equate to the "stone loach
                      (Neomchilus barbatula)" mentioned in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

                      Is this the right translation? Does this fish occur in Czech waters.
                      And, most importantly, where can I get one and what does it taste
                      like?

                      Simon (a fellow English consumer of carp flesh, but don't tell anyone
                      else)