Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: fathead minnow

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 5 , May 5, 2001
      Agreed. Please note that the 'minnow' is synonymous with 'carp' in this
      context. The enormous carp family (Cyprinidae) is also known (especially in
      the US) as the minnow family. Don't get confused with the pretty and
      protected little 'strevle potocni' Phoxinus phoxinus which is the 'minnow'
      of BrE lay usage. According to my expert advisers at the Moravian Museum,
      there is no accepted lay name for the fathead minnow in Czech. Stick to the
      binomial . Correct international style is to give the genus Pimephales an
      initial capital letter and the specific promelas a small one. Both should
      be in italics.

      BTW the term 'Latin name' is a useful conversational device, but the
      correct term is 'Linnaean binomial', usually shortened to binomial '. For
      example, there's a little mushroom much beloved of certain Czechs that
      rejoices in the name Psilocybe semilanceata, which is as nice a mixture of
      roots as you could wish for; translate the Greek to get the Czech, the Latin
      for the shape.

      Best

      Tony

      Among other things, English editor of Acta Musea Moravia.