Re: [Czechlist] TERM: barokarsky

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 2:55 AM
      In a message dated 5/5/01 2:29:08 AM, hejzlar@... writes:

      >I have never heard the term BAROKÁRSKY in my life and I am not able to
      >find it in the dictionary of the Czech language either. I suppose it could
      >mean the same as BAROKIZUJÍCÍ, i.e. imitating the baroque style, but I
      >am not quite sure. If it does, I would try to translate it as "baroque-like"
      >(if it noes not sound too strange to your native ears).

      I thought of making it "neo-baroque", but lo and behold, the sentence talks
      about things being both "barokarsky" AND "neo-baroque", or the artist
      starting out as barokarsky but also learning the neo-baroque style.
      Occasionally, this author writes things that don't make a lot of sense. For
      example, I've run into a "jeho" or two that could refer to either one of two
      people in the same paragraph.

      Thanks very much.