Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: fathead minnow

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2001
      > --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
      > > Hi, Kostas!
      > > I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
      > > Jarda Hejzlar
      >

      > Hi Kostas, hi Jarda, hi everybody,
      >
      > Greetings from a very cool and temperate London.
      >
      > I've just had a quick browse around to see if I can find anything:
      >
      > Several such fish used as `biomarkers' are mentioned on
      > http://spbi.hgf.vsb.cz/html/zakony/299-98.htm
      >
      > Whereas the other fish are given Czech and Latin names, this one is
      > only given its Latin name: Pimephales promelas, which leads me to
      > suspect that it does not have a Czech name. This would not be
      > surprising in view of the fact that it is a native of North American
      > rivers.
      >
      > See also:
      >
      > http://www.gacr.cz/gacr/tables/99uok2.htm
      >

      > I'd just stick to the Latin name, Kostas.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Melvyn

      Thanks to Jarda and Melvyn. Right, this is what I did at the end. Nobody
      knows any Czech equivalent for that fish, including people in the company
      dealing with toxicology that I called. They mentioned: "if it were in Latin,
      you would not have to translate it at all" - so I put it into Latin:-))
      Smart way how to get around with testing fish names for MSDS when the fish
      does not seem to have been granted any Czech name (I think MSDS is quite
      frequent type of document for translation in these days). On the Czech side,
      it is regulated here:
      http://www.sagit.cz/_texty/sb99027.htm

      Kostas
    • Tony Long
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2001
        Agreed. Please note that the 'minnow' is synonymous with 'carp' in this
        context. The enormous carp family (Cyprinidae) is also known (especially in
        the US) as the minnow family. Don't get confused with the pretty and
        protected little 'strevle potocni' Phoxinus phoxinus which is the 'minnow'
        of BrE lay usage. According to my expert advisers at the Moravian Museum,
        there is no accepted lay name for the fathead minnow in Czech. Stick to the
        binomial . Correct international style is to give the genus Pimephales an
        initial capital letter and the specific promelas a small one. Both should
        be in italics.

        BTW the term 'Latin name' is a useful conversational device, but the
        correct term is 'Linnaean binomial', usually shortened to binomial '. For
        example, there's a little mushroom much beloved of certain Czechs that
        rejoices in the name Psilocybe semilanceata, which is as nice a mixture of
        roots as you could wish for; translate the Greek to get the Czech, the Latin
        for the shape.

        Best

        Tony

        Among other things, English editor of Acta Musea Moravia.
        Pøedmìt: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: fathead minnow

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com