Re: TERM: fathead minnow

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2001
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
      > Hi, Kostas!
      > I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
      > Jarda Hejzlar

      Hi Kostas, hi Jarda, hi everybody,

      Greetings from a very cool and temperate London.

      I've just had a quick browse around to see if I can find anything:

      Several such fish used as `biomarkers' are mentioned on
      http://spbi.hgf.vsb.cz/html/zakony/299-98.htm

      Whereas the other fish are given Czech and Latin names, this one is
      only given its Latin name: Pimephales promelas, which leads me to
      suspect that it does not have a Czech name. This would not be
      surprising in view of the fact that it is a native of North American
      rivers.

      See also:

      http://www.gacr.cz/gacr/tables/99uok2.htm

      I'd just stick to the Latin name, Kostas.

      Regards,

      Melvyn
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2001
        > --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
        > > Hi, Kostas!
        > > I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
        > > Jarda Hejzlar
        >

        > Hi Kostas, hi Jarda, hi everybody,
        >
        > Greetings from a very cool and temperate London.
        >
        > I've just had a quick browse around to see if I can find anything:
        >
        > Several such fish used as `biomarkers' are mentioned on
        > http://spbi.hgf.vsb.cz/html/zakony/299-98.htm
        >
        > Whereas the other fish are given Czech and Latin names, this one is
        > only given its Latin name: Pimephales promelas, which leads me to
        > suspect that it does not have a Czech name. This would not be
        > surprising in view of the fact that it is a native of North American
        > rivers.
        >
        > See also:
        >
        > http://www.gacr.cz/gacr/tables/99uok2.htm
        >

        > I'd just stick to the Latin name, Kostas.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Melvyn

        Thanks to Jarda and Melvyn. Right, this is what I did at the end. Nobody
        knows any Czech equivalent for that fish, including people in the company
        dealing with toxicology that I called. They mentioned: "if it were in Latin,
        you would not have to translate it at all" - so I put it into Latin:-))
        Smart way how to get around with testing fish names for MSDS when the fish
        does not seem to have been granted any Czech name (I think MSDS is quite
        frequent type of document for translation in these days). On the Czech side,
        it is regulated here:
        http://www.sagit.cz/_texty/sb99027.htm

        Kostas
      • Tony Long
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2001
          Agreed. Please note that the 'minnow' is synonymous with 'carp' in this
          context. The enormous carp family (Cyprinidae) is also known (especially in
          the US) as the minnow family. Don't get confused with the pretty and
          protected little 'strevle potocni' Phoxinus phoxinus which is the 'minnow'
          of BrE lay usage. According to my expert advisers at the Moravian Museum,
          there is no accepted lay name for the fathead minnow in Czech. Stick to the
          binomial . Correct international style is to give the genus Pimephales an
          initial capital letter and the specific promelas a small one. Both should
          be in italics.

          BTW the term 'Latin name' is a useful conversational device, but the
          correct term is 'Linnaean binomial', usually shortened to binomial '. For
          example, there's a little mushroom much beloved of certain Czechs that
          rejoices in the name Psilocybe semilanceata, which is as nice a mixture of
          roots as you could wish for; translate the Greek to get the Czech, the Latin
          for the shape.

          Best

          Tony

          Among other things, English editor of Acta Musea Moravia.
          Pøedmìt: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: fathead minnow

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com