Re: [Czechlist] TERM: fathead minnow

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2001
      Does anyone know the Czech name for Fathead Minnow? It is fish, and it is
      used (it sounds horrible)to test ecological impact of chemicals. If you
      know, please let me know asap.

      Thanks,

      Kostas
    • Jaroslav Hejzlar
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2001
        Hi, Kostas!
        I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
        Jarda Hejzlar
        Does anyone know the Czech name for Fathead Minnow? It is fish, and it is
        used (it sounds horrible)to test ecological impact of chemicals. If you
        know, please let me know asap.

        Thanks,

        Kostas

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • zehrovak@dr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2001
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
          > Hi, Kostas!
          > I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
          > Jarda Hejzlar

          Hi Kostas, hi Jarda, hi everybody,

          Greetings from a very cool and temperate London.

          I've just had a quick browse around to see if I can find anything:

          Several such fish used as `biomarkers' are mentioned on
          http://spbi.hgf.vsb.cz/html/zakony/299-98.htm

          Whereas the other fish are given Czech and Latin names, this one is
          only given its Latin name: Pimephales promelas, which leads me to
          suspect that it does not have a Czech name. This would not be
          surprising in view of the fact that it is a native of North American
          rivers.

          See also:

          http://www.gacr.cz/gacr/tables/99uok2.htm

          I'd just stick to the Latin name, Kostas.

          Regards,

          Melvyn
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2001
            > --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
            > > Hi, Kostas!
            > > I have found "strevle potocní" for "minnow (with no "flathead").
            > > Jarda Hejzlar
            >

            > Hi Kostas, hi Jarda, hi everybody,
            >
            > Greetings from a very cool and temperate London.
            >
            > I've just had a quick browse around to see if I can find anything:
            >
            > Several such fish used as `biomarkers' are mentioned on
            > http://spbi.hgf.vsb.cz/html/zakony/299-98.htm
            >
            > Whereas the other fish are given Czech and Latin names, this one is
            > only given its Latin name: Pimephales promelas, which leads me to
            > suspect that it does not have a Czech name. This would not be
            > surprising in view of the fact that it is a native of North American
            > rivers.
            >
            > See also:
            >
            > http://www.gacr.cz/gacr/tables/99uok2.htm
            >

            > I'd just stick to the Latin name, Kostas.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Melvyn

            Thanks to Jarda and Melvyn. Right, this is what I did at the end. Nobody
            knows any Czech equivalent for that fish, including people in the company
            dealing with toxicology that I called. They mentioned: "if it were in Latin,
            you would not have to translate it at all" - so I put it into Latin:-))
            Smart way how to get around with testing fish names for MSDS when the fish
            does not seem to have been granted any Czech name (I think MSDS is quite
            frequent type of document for translation in these days). On the Czech side,
            it is regulated here:
            http://www.sagit.cz/_texty/sb99027.htm

            Kostas
          • Tony Long
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2001
              Agreed. Please note that the 'minnow' is synonymous with 'carp' in this
              context. The enormous carp family (Cyprinidae) is also known (especially in
              the US) as the minnow family. Don't get confused with the pretty and
              protected little 'strevle potocni' Phoxinus phoxinus which is the 'minnow'
              of BrE lay usage. According to my expert advisers at the Moravian Museum,
              there is no accepted lay name for the fathead minnow in Czech. Stick to the
              binomial . Correct international style is to give the genus Pimephales an
              initial capital letter and the specific promelas a small one. Both should
              be in italics.

              BTW the term 'Latin name' is a useful conversational device, but the
              correct term is 'Linnaean binomial', usually shortened to binomial '. For
              example, there's a little mushroom much beloved of certain Czechs that
              rejoices in the name Psilocybe semilanceata, which is as nice a mixture of
              roots as you could wish for; translate the Greek to get the Czech, the Latin
              for the shape.

              Best

              Tony

              Among other things, English editor of Acta Musea Moravia.
              Pøedmìt: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: fathead minnow