Re: [Czechlist] autor vs. author

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2001
      At 08:46 2001/05/03 +0200, you wrote:
      << . . . seems autor has a much broader semantic range than author . . .
      contexts where it just didn't seem appropriate in English. >>

      It bears noting, though, that "author" has _in American legalese_ a range
      like Czech's: one is the author, in AE copyright law, of a painting, a
      photograph, a musical composition, a sculpture, etc. The reasons are
      partly historical, partly systematic.

      If you want an even stranger use, recall that in the U.S. Constitution's
      phrase "Science and useful Arts . . . Authors and Inventors" the word
      "Science" refers to fiction and non-fiction works (and in modern extension
      to paintings, etc.), and the word "Arts" refers to physics, chemistry,
      engineering, etc.

      Michael Trittipo
      Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
      mailto:tritt002@...
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2001
        In a message dated 5/4/01 4:10:40 AM, zdenek.bobek@... writes:

        >Anybody saying "ja jsem umelec" is considered to be an idiot, while "ja
        >jsem vytvarnik / grafik / malir" is OK.

        I have my undergraduate degree is in painting, from a professional art
        school. Before I knew any better, instead of saying I was a malir, I said I
        was trained as an umelec, and Czechs would think at first that I was an actor.