Re: [Czechlist] autor vs. author

  • Zdenek Bobek
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3 11:16 AM
      From: <livingston@...>
      To: <Czechlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 8:46 AM
      Subject: [Czechlist] autor vs. author

      > I think one reason for this is that "umeni" comes from "um" and therefore
      > emphasizes more the "skill, craftsmanship" element of art rather than the
      > creative side. Another reason is that "umelec" sounds too "nobl" in
      Czech.
      > I don't think a Czech artist would ever call himself an "umelec" or fill
      in
      > the word "umelec" in an application form under "povolani".

      Yes, quite correct.

      > In short, I can imagine a Czech saying "jsem vytvarnik", "jsem fotograf",
      > "jsem grafik", "jsem sochar", "jsem autor tohoto obrazu" or even "jsem
      > kumstyr", but never, ever "jsem umelec".

      Anybody saying "ja jsem umelec" is considered to be an idiot, while "ja jsem
      vytvarnik / grafik / malir" is OK.

      Bob
    • Michael Trittipo
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3 8:07 PM
        At 08:46 2001/05/03 +0200, you wrote:
        << . . . seems autor has a much broader semantic range than author . . .
        contexts where it just didn't seem appropriate in English. >>

        It bears noting, though, that "author" has _in American legalese_ a range
        like Czech's: one is the author, in AE copyright law, of a painting, a
        photograph, a musical composition, a sculpture, etc. The reasons are
        partly historical, partly systematic.

        If you want an even stranger use, recall that in the U.S. Constitution's
        phrase "Science and useful Arts . . . Authors and Inventors" the word
        "Science" refers to fiction and non-fiction works (and in modern extension
        to paintings, etc.), and the word "Arts" refers to physics, chemistry,
        engineering, etc.

        Michael Trittipo
        Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
        mailto:tritt002@...
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4 3:54 AM
          In a message dated 5/4/01 4:10:40 AM, zdenek.bobek@... writes:

          >Anybody saying "ja jsem umelec" is considered to be an idiot, while "ja
          >jsem vytvarnik / grafik / malir" is OK.

          I have my undergraduate degree is in painting, from a professional art
          school. Before I knew any better, instead of saying I was a malir, I said I
          was trained as an umelec, and Czechs would think at first that I was an actor.