Re: [Czechlist] catalogue

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2001
      > How about "Courtesy of (the author)"?
      > Tom

      'Courtesy of ...' would be appropriate where the artist has given
      permission for a work in his possession to be used (e.g. in a magazine),
      but not, I don't think, where he has actually donated the work.

      Simon

      PS I'm sorry if this point has already been made, but yahoogroups seems
      to be operating about three hours behind schedule at the moment (at least,
      it was yesterday).
      PPS Tony, I think Jamie must be away at the moment.
    • Tony Long
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2001
        Thanks, everyone, for the help.

        I'm very pleased to have my own feelings confirmed so clearly (author,
        auteur, gift vs. donation etc.) I have printed your messages to use as
        points in the debate with the curator - a classic example of someone who's
        learned enough English to comment, but not enough to understand either
        context or the fact that a formulation's appearance in a previous document
        is far from being a guarantee of its correctness, or even its existence....

        Shame to miss Jamie, since he seems to have a great deal of 'hands-on'
        experience in the art catalogue/gallery field (thanks for the info, Simon).

        Conglameratingly yours

        Tony