catalogue

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2001
      Dear All and Jamie in particular

      In mid-catalogue, doing the usual stimulating 'please translate the titles
      and we'll show you the pictures later' routine, I find I cannot think of a
      phrase to translate 'Dar autora' in a satisfactory way.

      The titles list will appear in the catalogue of a photographic exhibition,
      in the usual abbreviated 'Title - Photographer - Source' format. 'Donated
      by' seems somehow over-formal, 'Author's gift' (a favourite of the Czech
      curator who commissioned the work) feels downright unnatural, and I don't
      have any similar (untranslated) catalogues to hand.

      Anyone help?

      Tony

      P.S. Is a photographer an 'author' and if so, when?
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2001
        >In mid-catalogue, doing the usual stimulating 'please translate the titles
        >and we'll show you the pictures later' routine, I find I cannot think of a
        >phrase to translate 'Dar autora' in a satisfactory way.

        Who'd he give it to? To a museum or gallery, or to an individual? If
        the former, I don't see why it can't be a donation. Otherwise I
        suppose it's a gift.

        Gift from the artist
        Gift from the photographer
        Donated by the artist
        Donated by the photographer

        >P.S. Is a photographer an 'author' and if so, when?

        Not unless he writes a book, as far as I'm concerned. He may be an
        "auteur", but I think I'd stick with "artist" or "photographer".

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • Barendregt
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2001
          Hi Tony,

          How about "Courtesy of (the author)"?

          Tom
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2001
            Hi Tony,

            > In mid-catalogue, doing the usual stimulating 'please translate the
            titles and we'll show you the pictures later' routine, I find I cannot
            think of a phrase to translate 'Dar autora' in a satisfactory way.

            > Is a photographer an 'author' and if so, when?

            No and never, in my opinion, but he can be an artist. And so I'd
            translate 'Dar autora' as 'Gift of the artist'. This phrase 'Gift of ...'
            seems to be the usual formula for introducing information about the donor
            of a work of art, in my experience.

            Simon
          • Rachel
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2001
              > I find I cannot think of a
              > phrase to translate 'Dar autora' in a satisfactory way.

              "Gift of the artist" was what I usually went for when I was editor of a
              graphic arts magazine.

              > P.S. Is a photographer an 'author' and if so, when?

              This is another problem I came across in my editing work. It seems autor
              has a much broader semantic range than author -- it was used all the time
              in the Czech version of the magazine, in contexts where it just didn't
              seem appropriate in English. I normally went for artist, but in your case
              photographer would probably do just as well.

              Rachel
            • Rachel
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2001
                > How about "Courtesy of (the author)"?
                > Tom

                'Courtesy of ...' would be appropriate where the artist has given
                permission for a work in his possession to be used (e.g. in a magazine),
                but not, I don't think, where he has actually donated the work.

                Simon

                PS I'm sorry if this point has already been made, but yahoogroups seems
                to be operating about three hours behind schedule at the moment (at least,
                it was yesterday).
                PPS Tony, I think Jamie must be away at the moment.
              • Tony Long
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2001
                  Thanks, everyone, for the help.

                  I'm very pleased to have my own feelings confirmed so clearly (author,
                  auteur, gift vs. donation etc.) I have printed your messages to use as
                  points in the debate with the curator - a classic example of someone who's
                  learned enough English to comment, but not enough to understand either
                  context or the fact that a formulation's appearance in a previous document
                  is far from being a guarantee of its correctness, or even its existence....

                  Shame to miss Jamie, since he seems to have a great deal of 'hands-on'
                  experience in the art catalogue/gallery field (thanks for the info, Simon).

                  Conglameratingly yours

                  Tony