Re: [Czechlist] Dubbing (was Computer Aided Translation)

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2000
      >you don't have to go across the pond to find out what's happening with
      >Voyager
      >they show the Voyager series here (dubbed in Czech) as you may know,

      List members are going to be aghast that I have turned Czechlist into a
      raving loony Trekkie list while they were out on a Sunday stroll - ah well,
      resistance is futile. I know it is on TV here with its holopaluba and Sedma
      but we just get these old reruns with Voyager still 90 years from home and I
      thought maybe they have some later series in the States. Thanks for the URL
      :).

      These dubbed versions of British and American programmes are bloody
      annoying. I was amazed that there was a dubbed version of the British comedy
      "Allo Allo" - the only reason we laugh at this programme is because they
      sustain these very silly French accents for such a long time and there is
      nothing the British laugh at more, except maybe silly German accents.
      Michael Palin's "Ripping Yarns" without the clipped and starched voices and
      all the provincial accents suddenly becomes rather drab. God knows if
      anybody can make any sense of Hale and Pace. But I think the subtitles for
      Monty Python's are a work of genius - oh, except that they keep
      mistranslating "it's a fair cop, guvnor" as "je to ferovy fizl, sefe".

      Melvyn