Question

  • MK Language Centre
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2 3:05 AM
      Nice Sunday noon,
      All sane people are having Sunday lunch now, but I am beating my brain with
      a mining-engineering company profile.
      I cannot find the term of "priklepove vrtani" for the world anywhere. Can
      anyone help?
      And, any idea what "obtura(long)tor" could be? The text says:
      Vlastni zkouska [vodni tlakova] se provadi pomoci vzduchovych obturatoru.
      What the hell it is?

      Martin Koci
    • Erdni
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
        How to translate "Hotova jidla" into English?
        Meal of the day?

        Any ideas?

        Thanks in advance

        Erdni
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
          > How to translate "Hotova jidla" into English?
          > Meal of the day?
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > Erdni

          Depends on the context.
          If it's for a menu then Fronek's "main dishes" is not a bad option. With
          menus, however, a lot depends on the style in which they are written and
          what sort of meals and standard of cooking is involved

          Sometimes, hotova jidla can be something like "meals from our regular menu"
          whereas a "meal of the day" could be a "daily special" or suchlike..

          As I said, though, it all depends on the context...

          HTH
          Coilin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
            --- In Czechlist@yahoogroups.com, "Erdni" <erdni@v...> wrote:

            > How to translate "Hotova jidla" into English?

            Zdravstvuite Erdni,

            Like your man* says, context is everything. Here's another solution for you=
            from a different angle:

            ... Menus have two sets of entrées, ready-to-serve (hotova jidla) and cooke=
            d to
            order (minutky). ... Ready-to-serve meals, are only available until about 4=
            pm. ...
            www.praguesite.cz/new/eating/rest_new.html

            Enjoyed your menu items a lot. My all-time favourite is "diabolical flesh o=
            n toast".

            Yum,

            M.
            * Coilin, have I used this Irishism correctly?
          • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
              > * Coilin, have I used this Irishism correctly?

              Pretty good Melvyn!

              Beannachtai na feile Padraig
              Coilin
            • Erdni
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
                > Zdravstvuite Erdni,

                Now that was great! Too many Russians* around me lately. :) ;) Now
                another one.

                > ... Menus have two sets of entrées, ready-to-serve (hotova jidla)
                and cooked to order (minutky). ... Ready-to-serve meals, are only
                available until about 4 pm. ...

                Too bad there was no "minutky" on the menu. Otherwise, there could be
                smth better than "prepared dishes" (Hotova jidla) and "dishes for
                order" (Jidla na objednavku). :))

                The menu could have already been in print, hadn't it come to my eyes
                today.

                > Enjoyed your menu items a lot. My all-time favourite is "diabolical
                flesh on toast".

                :)))