RE: Computer Aided Translation

  • Otto Pacholik
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2000
      > be a lot of work for us. I do not believe any machine can translate real
      > literature. They might have intelligence in the future but they will never
      > have hearts and souls.
      I would not be so sure about that. It is only a question of sufficient
      processing power, memory and really huge database of every possible meaning.
      Look at a very sophisticated example at:

      www.inet.cz/jtp/cesky/Ruzne/KonecPrekl.htm

      it is really blood-curdling :-)

      Have a nice day,

      Otto
    • Alexandr Rosen
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2000
        Dear fellow list members,

        Svrbi' mne jazyk (`my tongue is itching' - how is this in English?), so I better
        say something:

        [Michael Grant says:]
        > They've gone down quite a bit--most of the leading packages (at least
        > the "individual" versions) are well below $1000 now, and are no
        > longer out of reach for translators with a "western" clientele. I'm
        > told they pay for themselves pretty quickly if you do certain kinds
        > of repetitive text (which you receive in the form of electronic
        > files, not hard copy or fax).

        I agree. The other thing is that the translation should be in the same format as
        the original.

        [Otto Pacholik says:]
        > > BTW: is
        > > there anyone on the list who has worked with a CAT system?
        > Yes, there is. I have been working with DejaVu for some 3 years and I can
        > confirm I have earned a lot of money, thanks to this tool. I have also
        > experience with Trados and IBM TM.

        Some time ago I persuaded my wife - who is the professional translator from the
        two of us - to make the investment and there is no reason to regret it. I can
        only second Otto's experience. The longer you use it, the better resources you
        have and the better chance that the input at least partially matches something
        which has been translated already. Of course, at least at the start you should
        feed in aligned parallel texts and glossaries.

        In my opinion, the best thing about those tools is that you are no longer
        frustrated by trying in vain to remember/find how you translated this some time
        ago. Also, some people say that translators and agencies will soon be routinely
        exchanging not only glossaries, but also databases of translations. However,
        some translation agencies may try to use such tools for sending their
        translators only `squeezed out' texts - without parts present in previous
        translations and even without `internal repetitions'. But this is another story.

        We were considering Trados Workbench and Atril DejaVu. The former is more widely
        used and was cheaper with more intuitive interface for those accustomed to MS
        Word, the latter has better customer support, is better in dealing with DTP
        formats and offers more functions - like assembling translation of a sentence
        from portions found at different places in the database. The latter won.

        [Michael Grant says further:]
        > Still haven't used one myself, unless you count WordFisher, but since
        > there basically aren't any for the Macintosh, I'm thinking of
        > eventually creating my own for the Mac market.

        Michael, that's a very good idea. There are a number DTP formats around and lots
        of DTP stuff done on the Mac, and often these types of documents are good
        candidates for CAT: the translator can receive a graphical image of the original
        file (a pdf file) and seperately the text to be translated. No need to own a
        range of costly licenses for the DTP software and no need to learn to handle
        them. And the Mac<->PC conversion tends to be a tricky business. However, it
        would be nice if a Mac user could share a TM database with a PC user.

        Sorry about this lengthy contribution, it's my favourite topic...

        Kind regards

        Alexandr Rosen

        Institute of Theoretical and Computational Linguistics
        Faculty of Philosophy, Charles University, Prague

        address: UTKL FF UK, Celetna 13, CZ 110 00 Praha 1, Czech Republic
        tel.: +420-2-24491858, e-mail: alexandr.rosen@...
        http://utkl.ff.cuni.cz/~rosen/
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6, 2000
          >Michael, that's a very good idea. There are a number DTP formats
          >around and lots
          >of DTP stuff done on the Mac, and often these types of documents are good
          >candidates for CAT: the translator can receive a graphical image of
          >the original
          >file (a pdf file) and seperately the text to be translated. No need to own a
          >range of costly licenses for the DTP software and no need to learn to handle
          >them. And the Mac<->PC conversion tends to be a tricky business. However, it
          >would be nice if a Mac user could share a TM database with a PC user.

          Thanks for the support. Lord knows if I'll ever find the time. My
          product will definitely have to support TMX and Unicode for
          cross-platform compatibility. I'd like to base it on 4th Dimension,
          but so far I'm not sure it has all the capabilities that I'd need.
          I'm also keeping an eye on Panorama and Omnis, and even good old
          FileMaker.

          Any database wizzes on the list?

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413