CHAT: Hash browns and bramboraky

  • Michal Ginter
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
      This is how my grandmother used to make bramboraky (a rizky taky) that
      weren't greasy: first - she fried them in a thick layer of very hot
      oil, but the oil was VERY hot. (I haven't tried deep-frying them, but
      I guess it could work, too). Second - after taking them out of the
      frying pan, she would dip them in boiling water for a couple of
      seconds, shake the water off, and dry them by putting them on a
      napkin. Surprisingly, this didn't make them soggy, but washed a lot
      of the oil out. I can eat ten of those, and not get sick, even though
      my fat threshold isn't very high. (I avoid passing those grilled wurst
      stands on Wenceslas Square, because the smell makes me sick. I
      wouldn't dream of eating one.)

      You can get frozen bramboraky here, but, IMO, they taste like crap.
      I'll settle for hash browns if I don't feel like making bramboraky. I
      buy them frozen, brush them lightly with oil (and mashed garlic), and
      put them in the oven for 20 minutes. That way, they don't end up being
      very greasy.

      Michal

      > This is mysterious to me, then, because I can eat only one bramborak
      before
      > my stomach feels heavy and yells, "STOP! TOO MUCH GREASE!" I can eat
      a much
      > larger volume of hash browns without the grease alarm going off in my
      belly.
      > Wonder why.

      > Jamie
    • Monika
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
        wow - this is very interesting. i have never heard of this... putting them
        into the water. i will try... where do you live in case this doesnt work...
        just kidding...
        my mom makes the "rizky" the similar way, she fries them and after she bakes
        them little more in the oven. they are a bit greassy, but not toooo much,
        and they are very crunchy.
        here in mcdonalds they dont sell hashbrowns, do they?
        but talking about the food... does any of our overseas friends has a recipe
        for the eggplant sandwich.. i ate it in boston in ... eh how theplace was
        called.... i forgot and i lived there one whole year ... there is a big
        house with thousands of fast food stalls.... but they have it all over the
        new england i believe and i dont know about the rest of the us but probably
        also.. thanks in advance...

        monika

        > This is how my grandmother used to make bramboraky (a rizky taky) that
        > weren't greasy: first - she fried them in a thick layer of very hot
        > oil, but the oil was VERY hot. (I haven't tried deep-frying them, but
        > I guess it could work, too). Second - after taking them out of the
        > frying pan, she would dip them in boiling water for a couple of
        > seconds, shake the water off, and dry them by putting them on a
        > napkin. Surprisingly, this didn't make them soggy, but washed a lot
        > of the oil out. I can eat ten of those, and not get sick, even though
        > my fat threshold isn't very high. (I avoid passing those grilled wurst
        > stands on Wenceslas Square, because the smell makes me sick. I
        > wouldn't dream of eating one.)
        >
        > You can get frozen bramboraky here, but, IMO, they taste like crap.
        > I'll settle for hash browns if I don't feel like making bramboraky. I
        > buy them frozen, brush them lightly with oil (and mashed garlic), and
        > put them in the oven for 20 minutes. That way, they don't end up being
        > very greasy.
        >
        > Michal
        >
        > > This is mysterious to me, then, because I can eat only one bramborak
        > before
        > > my stomach feels heavy and yells, "STOP! TOO MUCH GREASE!" I can eat
        > a much
        > > larger volume of hash browns without the grease alarm going off in my
        > belly.
        > > Wonder why.
        >
        > > Jamie

      • Adámková Kamila Mgr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
          > for the eggplant sandwich.. i ate it in boston in ... eh how
          theplace was
          > called.... i forgot and i lived there one whole year ... there
          is a big
          > house with thousands of fast food stalls....

          Quincy Market, maybe?
        • Monika
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
            yeah, quincy market. and the place was called something like Faneuncial
            hall... i really cant remember... it was a year ago.... and i cant remember
            that long time :o))

            > > for the eggplant sandwich.. i ate it in boston in ... eh how
            > theplace was
            > > called.... i forgot and i lived there one whole year ... there
            > is a big
            > > house with thousands of fast food stalls....
            >

            > Quincy Market, maybe?

          • Adámková Kamila Mgr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
              Faneuil Hall ;)
              Well I last was there about 4 years ago, but spent 5 or so years in Boston,
              that's why I remember... :)

            • Monika
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 6, 2001
                i am sure i remembered still yesterday.
                but i remember almost all the world and us capitals and i am pretty good in
                geography in case you need something...:o))

                Well I last was there about 4 years ago, but spent 5 or so years in Boston,
                that's why I remember... :)

                Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

              • Vladimír Lopata
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
                  Nevi nekdo jak se dostat do automatickeho cislovaní obrazku, do "headeru a
                  footeru" ve FrameMaker?
                  FrameMaker soubor jsem ulozil jako MIF, pote zkonvertoval S-Tagerem do RTF,
                  v TRADOSU prelozil a zkonvertoval zpatky do MIF - vysledek - vsechno
                  prelozeno krome automatického cislovani obrazku (Figure x.x: nazev) - kde
                  nazev jiz byl v csetine, ale "Figure" zustalo anglicky, prozoze se to v
                  anglickem orihinalu generovalo samo, headeru a footeru do kterych se ve
                  FraMemakeru nemuzu dostat abych je prelozil.

                  Napovi nekdo?

                  Vladimir Lopata
                  English ->Czech + Slovak
                  lopa@...