Venglish and vee English (was ADMIN Welcome + Chat)

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      > (John Wyclif obviously used some cheapo agency)

      You're not far wrong, in that Wyclif's first Bible was a literal rendering
      of the Vulgate (i.e. probably written in the Latin>English equivalent of
      Czenglish).

      BTW, what is the standard modern spelling of this guy's name: Wyclif or
      Wycliffe?

      > > 'mockney' the ghastly corruption of pronunciation and vocabulary
      > > that occurs when people with perfectly good accents feel tainted by
      > > the social class inherent in their voice and start 'talking common' to
      > > show that they're human. Poor cockney sods.
      >
      > Sackman - I presume you are referring to Estuary English.

      The most profound change wrought by puberty on most of the boys at my
      school wasn't the facial efflorescence or the breaking of the voice or the
      interest in girls, but an extraordinary shift in accent whereby boys who
      formerly spoke the "eu helleu" variety of English started to speak the
      "alwigh'" variety.

      > Martin J. - What is it like up there in Dublin? How do you find the
      > language spoken there?

      Go into the local pub.

      Vaughn
    • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        Samozrejme Viklef - zeptejte se Jana Husa (cesky). (:-))
        Petr