Re: [Czechlist] TERM: guage

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      In a message dated 4/1/01 11:27:15 PM, kzgafas@... writes:

      >Packaging: Shrinkwrap 14" 180 guage

      It's a misprint of "gauge". It's the thickness of the shrinkwrap.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2001
        Kostas Zgafas wrote:

        > Packaging: Shrinkwrap 14" 180 guage

        I thought it might be interesting to some to mention what thickness 180
        gauge is in terms of a more conventional measure of length. Here's the
        Webster's definition (What else could you expect from me?):

        "the fineness of a knitted fabric as expressed in loops per every 1.5
        in. (3.8 cm): 15 denier, 60 gauge stockings"

        So 180 gauage corresponds to 0.008333333... inches or 0.211666666...
        millimetres. I believe that <gauage> is used in the same way not only in
        the knitting industry.