ADMIN Welcome + Chat

  • zehrovak@dr.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 2:26 PM
      Hello everybody,

      First of all I would just like to extend a warm welcome to all
      recently subscribed members of Czechlist. Hope you're feeling at home
      here. Do feel free to chip in with your questions or comments about
      language problems or professional matters -- or just drop us a line
      and tell us who you are and what you do....

      Have a look around the Czechlist site. The group description is on the
      group homepage:

      We have our searchable archives on

      Check out our databases of agencies and translators on

      You'll find a collection of resources for the Czech<>English
      translator (glossaries, useful addresses and links, articles etc) on:

      And you can have a look at the Czechlist FAQ on

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html

      If you have any queries about this mailing list you will get the
      quickest response by mailing
      me at zehrovak@...

      A few comments on recent threads:

      I understand that use of 'ahoj' came directly from the internationally
      recognized maritime
      hailing word 'ahoy' and was first brought to these parts by the Czech
      navy. Germany did not
      play a role in this at all AFAIK. The Czech navy was part of the navy
      of the Austrian Empire
      and one of the elite military bodies in these lands. When
      Czechoslovakia gained
      independence in October 1918, several hundred members of the Czech
      navy were actually
      deployed in the streets of Prague to keep order as they happened to be
      one of the best
      equipped and trained military forces to hand.

      You think this is an April Fool's Day joke, don''t you? Uh uuuuh.
      Would I do that to you? :) I can even quote you sources. Karen Von
      Kunes (ooooh!) '72 Discussions of the Czech Language' p. 17: "ahoj is
      an Anglicism that was brought by Czech sailors into the country during
      World War I'.

      I believe that 'ahoj' caught on first amongst the 'vodaci', the people
      who like messing about on rivers, 'boating folk' or whatever we might
      call them, and then the land-lubbers took it up in jest. It's a
      bizarre kind of ongoing joke when you think about it, isn't it?

      If the Czechs did pip the English at the post in translating a
      complete bible properly (John Wyclif obviously used some cheapo
      agency) it is hardly a surprise - is it, Jamie? At that
      time English was still very much a minor European language and I
      believe Richard II was actually the first king since 1066 to stop
      speaking (Anglo-) French and start speaking English.

      Radka - I'm glad I don't have your problems. Czech just doesn't seem
      to have a pithy
      expression for 'baby-boomer' AFAIK so maybe you are just going to have
      to work something around 'populacne silna povalecna generace'.

      Sackman - I presume you are referring to Estuary English. BTW all
      Londoners sound
      cockney to me and my brother's girlfriend from the Isle of Skye tells
      me all the English sound
      cockney to her.

      Monika - You are hereby appointed Czechlist Task Force Commander....:)

      Martin J. - What is it like up there in Dublin? How do you find the
      language spoken there?

      Bob, Vlasta - how about another provincial meeting sometime? :)

      Monika C. + Nathan - Many thanks for your descriptions last week of
      buildings, building
      sites, (possibly) buried utilities and so forth. Very useful stuff
      indeed and very much
      appreciated.

      Melvyn