Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: Witnesseth

  • Michael Trittipo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2001
      >Mind you, we haven't answered the original question of how to
      >translate "witnesseth" into Czech. Presumably there's a standard way
      >of doing it, given that such contracts are so common.

      I've only seen it translated when an American party seemed wedded to the
      idea that the structures in English and Czech had to be the same. Czech
      contract style seems to get along without it, as does French contract
      style. I suppose that something like "je dukaz" would be parallel enough,
      or (here less sure) osvedci. Stvrdit is, I think, what the parties do to
      the contract: stvrdit smlouvu prisahou, not what the contract itself does
      as to their mental agreement.

      Michael Trittipo
      Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
      mailto:tritt002@...