Re: [Czechlist] Re: Normostrany - PowerPoint

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      > Normally I take word count, divide by 250, and this is the number
      > of "normostrany".

      I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count for a
      typical Czech page. OK. However, the situation is different with English
      word count. It approaches 300 words for 1NS (due to higher frequency of
      shorter words: a, an, the)

      K.
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        >I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count for a
        >typical Czech page. OK. However, the situation is different with English
        >word count. It approaches 300 words for 1NS (due to higher frequency of
        >shorter words: a, an, the)

        But Czech tends to favor a wordier style, so greater conciseness in a
        well-written English translation will compensate for the presence of
        the articles in English. And Czech also has plenty of short words: a,
        do, i, je, k, na, o, po, s, u, v, z....
        In my experience neither word count nor page count varies appreciably
        between Czech and English, and both average around 275 words per NS
        (with substantial variation from one document to another).

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • karel6005@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:

          > I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count
          for a typical Czech page.

          Indeed. I had got to this figure from my own archives, English to
          Czech translations. It had been maybe 3 years ago, so I do not
          remember exactly how many files I checked and what was the total
          number of text surveyed. I would guess that something like up to five
          hundred of "normostrany". The outcome of the calculation was that
          there are ca 250 words per standard page of 1800 characters
          (including spaces) and consequently ca 7.2 characters per word.

          For some reason, the PowerPoint jobs I get now and then are virually
          always English to Czech. Therefore I have been working with the
          numbers as above.

          BR

          Karel
        • Kostas Zgafas
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
            > In my experience neither word count nor page count varies appreciably
            > between Czech and English, and both average around 275 words per NS
            > (with substantial variation from one document to another).

            My experience is that my Czech translations are some 10-15% smaller in the
            word count than the English originals I translate from.

            K.