Re: Normostrany - PowerPoint

  • karel6005@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
      Normally I take word count, divide by 250, and this is the number
      of "normostrany". However, if there are Excel tables, graphical files
      and the like embedded in the slides, the word count from statistics
      does not take them. This must be counted manually and added to the
      word count from statistics. I have been using this method for maybe 2
      or 3 years on fairly numerous occasions and it works well - no
      complaints. Also with agencies, e.g. ArtLingua.

      BR

      Karel
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
        > Normally I take word count, divide by 250, and this is the number
        > of "normostrany".

        I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count for a
        typical Czech page. OK. However, the situation is different with English
        word count. It approaches 300 words for 1NS (due to higher frequency of
        shorter words: a, an, the)

        K.
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
          >I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count for a
          >typical Czech page. OK. However, the situation is different with English
          >word count. It approaches 300 words for 1NS (due to higher frequency of
          >shorter words: a, an, the)

          But Czech tends to favor a wordier style, so greater conciseness in a
          well-written English translation will compensate for the presence of
          the articles in English. And Czech also has plenty of short words: a,
          do, i, je, k, na, o, po, s, u, v, z....
          In my experience neither word count nor page count varies appreciably
          between Czech and English, and both average around 275 words per NS
          (with substantial variation from one document to another).

          Michael

          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
        • karel6005@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Kostas Zgafas" <kzgafas@t...> wrote:

            > I guess you base this on the assumption that 250 is the word count
            for a typical Czech page.

            Indeed. I had got to this figure from my own archives, English to
            Czech translations. It had been maybe 3 years ago, so I do not
            remember exactly how many files I checked and what was the total
            number of text surveyed. I would guess that something like up to five
            hundred of "normostrany". The outcome of the calculation was that
            there are ca 250 words per standard page of 1800 characters
            (including spaces) and consequently ca 7.2 characters per word.

            For some reason, the PowerPoint jobs I get now and then are virually
            always English to Czech. Therefore I have been working with the
            numbers as above.

            BR

            Karel
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2001
              > In my experience neither word count nor page count varies appreciably
              > between Czech and English, and both average around 275 words per NS
              > (with substantial variation from one document to another).

              My experience is that my Czech translations are some 10-15% smaller in the
              word count than the English originals I translate from.

              K.