Re: [Czechlist] At the top of the hour

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2001
      >As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at >some station: Bus AAA
      > LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
      > Is it the same or only some local usage?

      To Americans it sounds like military usage.

      > Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If >I hear "at the bottom
      > of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 >= pul jedenacte

      You will never hear "at the bottom of 11", because the specific hour is never named. They will say, "at the bottom of the hour", "at the bottom of the next hour", "at the bottom of the last (previous) hour", "at the top and bottom of each hour", but they never name a specific hour by number.