CHAT: last, this, next; first day of week; first week of year (was "At the top of the hour")

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi,

      to defend Jamie's mom a bit, I'd say it's not always so clear (at least to
      me) how to use <next> in time expressions. The example of talking about
      "next Wednesday" on Tuesday seems quite simple, but how about the other way
      round and about days that are further apart from each other: What do you
      call Saturday or Sunday (weekend anyway) at the end of the week on Monday
      and the other days at the beginning of the same week? <This Sunday> or <next
      Sunday>...?

      From what has been posted on the topic, it just seems, that, for example,
      "this Wednesday" is the same as "Wednesday this week" and "next Wednesday"
      the same as "Wednesday next week" and so on. Do you agree?

      Also, I wonder what your views are on what the first day of the week is,
      Sunday or Monday? In Simon's (Vaughan) posting it was obviously the former.
      I've also noticed that in Czech calendars the weeks of a year are numbered
      so that anything before the first Monday in the year is week one while in
      other countries (don't know exactly the whole group) the same is the last
      week of the old year and week one starts with the first _complete_ week of
      the year.