RE: [Czechlist] TERM: odtrhavaci vicko

  • Barendregt
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi Tomas,

      I do not know the official term (if there is any) but I would call it
      'peel-off lid'.

      Tom
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
        >In British English it's a "ring-pull". I think the Americans call it
        >a "pull tab".

        "Pull tab" is what occurred to me, but I'm not sure I'd use it for a
        sardine can where most or all of the top of the can pulls off. A pull
        tab is one of those old-style tabs on a beverage can that pulls all
        the way off. You hardly see them any more over here, as they've been
        replaced by push-in tabs that remain attached to the can.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
          Nevedel by nekdo nahodou, jak prelozit odtrhavaci vicko? Tak jedna
          potravinarska firma oznacuje vicko na sardinkach, pepsi-cole a jinych
          konzervach, kdy clovek uchopi takoveto ocko a konzervu otevre.

          I don't know what the British call them, but in the US these are called "pop tops". You pull a ring and either peel back the metal top, or the ring pushes a tab inward. Those are pop tops bei uns.

          Jamie

          JK
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
            >In British English it's a "ring-pull". I think the Americans call it
            a "pull tab".

            Yes, this would be more formal than "pop top".

            JK
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
              >I do not know the official term (if there is any) but I would call it
              'peel-off lid'.

              Peel-off lids usually don't have rings, and they are usually lids, rather than integrated into the can itself. They can even be made of paper. I vote for "pull-tab opener", which someone else posted.

              JK
            • Mila Saskova-Pierce
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2001
                pull tab

                V Nebrasce tomu rikame takhle. Pull the tab off the Pepsi can.

                Mila

                >Nevedel by nekdo nahodou, jak prelozit odtrhavaci vicko? Tak jedna
                >potravinarska firma oznacuje vicko na sardinkach, pepsi-cole a jinych
                >konzervach, kdy clovek uchopi takoveto ocko a konzervu otevre.
                >
                >Diky predem za vase podnetne narvhy
                >
                >S uctou
                >
                >Tomas Skront

                >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com
                >
                >Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                >Egroups addresses and URLs will continue to work.

                Dr. Mila Saskova-Pierce
                University of Nebraska
                1133 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0315
                Tel: (402) 472 1336