Re: [Czechlist] At the top of the hour

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
      As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at some station: Bus AAA
      LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
      Is it the same or only some local usage?
      Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
      of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

      BR
      Mirek

      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1 9:05 AM
        Mirek wrote:
        Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
        of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

        Hi Mirek,

        AFAIK, the 'at the bottom..." phrase is not used with a number - I usually
        hear it on the radio and they would say something like 'traffic updates
        always at the bottom of the hour' or some such thing.

        "11-hundred" is 11 a.m. military time (at least in the US).

        Tom

      • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1 12:56 PM
          >As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at >some station: Bus AAA
          > LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
          > Is it the same or only some local usage?

          To Americans it sounds like military usage.

          > Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If >I hear "at the bottom
          > of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 >= pul jedenacte

          You will never hear "at the bottom of 11", because the specific hour is never named. They will say, "at the bottom of the hour", "at the bottom of the next hour", "at the bottom of the last (previous) hour", "at the top and bottom of each hour", but they never name a specific hour by number.