Re: [Czechlist] At the top of the hour

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870

      >Hey! That's a good question for the Czechs! If it is Tuesday, then when
      is
      >"pristi streda"? Is it tomorrow, or is it a week from tomorrow?

      Nevidim problem. Otazkou je pouze, zda mluvci pouzil vyrazu presne. Tyka se
      pouze cestiny - jak zni definice v EN nevim.
      Definice CSAV, Slovnik spisovneho jazyka ceskeho: pristi = nejdrive,
      nejblize nasledujici v poradi, v budoucnosti; hend pote, po tomto nejblizsim
      nasledujici; dalsi
      z toho pro vyse uvedeny priklad vyplyva, ze tomorrow = tuto stredu
      a week from tomorrow = pristi stredu

      BR
      Mirek
    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
        As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at some station: Bus AAA
        LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
        Is it the same or only some local usage?
        Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
        of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

        BR
        Mirek

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2001
          Ted to trochu zkomplikuji a nevim, jestli ostatni Cesi se mnou budou
          souhlasit, ale pro mne je "pristi stredu" zhruba totez co "pristi
          tyden ve stredu", pokud je mezi tim vice dni nebo pokud je do konce
          tydne daleko. Kdyz v patek reknu "pristi stredu", myslim tim stredu
          pristiho tydne, tedy nejblizsi stredu, ovsem kdyz v nedeli
          reknu "pristi utery", tak myslim spise od uterka za tyden, ovsem neni
          to jednoznacne.
          Jak by to asi vychutnala Vase pani matka?
          Petr

        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2001
            In a message dated 3/1/01 3:03:45 AM, padamek@... writes:

            >Ted to trochu zkomplikuji a nevim, jestli ostatni Cesi se mnou budou
            >souhlasit, ale pro mne je "pristi stredu" zhruba totez co "pristi
            >tyden ve stredu", pokud je mezi tim vice dni nebo pokud je do konce
            >tydne daleko. Kdyz v patek reknu "pristi stredu", myslim tim stredu
            >pristiho tydne, tedy nejblizsi stredu, ovsem kdyz v nedeli
            >reknu "pristi utery", tak myslim spise od uterka za tyden, ovsem neni
            >to jednoznacne.
            >Jak by to asi vychutnala Vase pani matka?

            This use of "pristi" is just the same as the English use of "next". I
            thought maybe my mother's occasionally eccentric use of "next" in reference
            to days may have been influenced by Czech (which she could not speak but
            which still influenced some of our family's terminology), but I guess it was
            hers alone.

            Jamie
          • Barendregt
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1, 2001
              Mirek wrote:
              Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
              of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

              Hi Mirek,

              AFAIK, the 'at the bottom..." phrase is not used with a number - I usually
              hear it on the radio and they would say something like 'traffic updates
              always at the bottom of the hour' or some such thing.

              "11-hundred" is 11 a.m. military time (at least in the US).

              Tom

            • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1, 2001
                >As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at >some station: Bus AAA
                > LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
                > Is it the same or only some local usage?

                To Americans it sounds like military usage.

                > Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If >I hear "at the bottom
                > of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 >= pul jedenacte

                You will never hear "at the bottom of 11", because the specific hour is never named. They will say, "at the bottom of the hour", "at the bottom of the next hour", "at the bottom of the last (previous) hour", "at the top and bottom of each hour", but they never name a specific hour by number.