Re: [Czechlist] At the top of the hour

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumocník/prekladatel/poradenství/volný novinár
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870

      >Hey! That's a good question for the Czechs! If it is Tuesday, then when
      is
      >"pristi streda"? Is it tomorrow, or is it a week from tomorrow?

      Nevidim problem. Otazkou je pouze, zda mluvci pouzil vyrazu presne. Tyka se
      pouze cestiny - jak zni definice v EN nevim.
      Definice CSAV, Slovnik spisovneho jazyka ceskeho: pristi = nejdrive,
      nejblize nasledujici v poradi, v budoucnosti; hend pote, po tomto nejblizsim
      nasledujici; dalsi
      z toho pro vyse uvedeny priklad vyplyva, ze tomorrow = tuto stredu
      a week from tomorrow = pristi stredu

      BR
      Mirek
    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
        As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at some station: Bus AAA
        LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
        Is it the same or only some local usage?
        Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
        of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

        BR
        Mirek

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
          In a message dated 2/28/01 6:33:55 PM, zehrovak@... writes:

          >Well, I'm pretty sure I used to hear Radio 1 DJs in Britain using this
          >expression way back in the 70s.
          >
          >I'd say we should create a special stylistic category for this kind of
          >language - the kind that no normal sentient being would ever want to
          >use for fear of sounding like some jerk on radio or TV. Other examples
          >that spring to mind: 'now here's a blast from the past/rave from the
          >grave' or 'coming live to you on xxx FM' or 'well, that's the way it
          >is' (uttered in self-important manner after the local news report).

          I had an argument with one of my linguistics professors back in the '80s
          about "groovy". I insisted that no one ever used that word in real life, not
          even in the '60s, and he vehemently differed with me. I realized that people
          must have been using it on the west and east coasts of the US -- the media
          centers -- and this is why no one in Detroit ever said it. Here it was
          stigmatized by younger people here as being an expression from TV, and no one
          ever wanted to be caught dead sounding like they thought anything on TV was
          cool.

          Jamie
        • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1 12:01 AM
            Ted to trochu zkomplikuji a nevim, jestli ostatni Cesi se mnou budou
            souhlasit, ale pro mne je "pristi stredu" zhruba totez co "pristi
            tyden ve stredu", pokud je mezi tim vice dni nebo pokud je do konce
            tydne daleko. Kdyz v patek reknu "pristi stredu", myslim tim stredu
            pristiho tydne, tedy nejblizsi stredu, ovsem kdyz v nedeli
            reknu "pristi utery", tak myslim spise od uterka za tyden, ovsem neni
            to jednoznacne.
            Jak by to asi vychutnala Vase pani matka?
            Petr

          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 1 3:08 AM
              In a message dated 3/1/01 3:03:45 AM, padamek@... writes:

              >Ted to trochu zkomplikuji a nevim, jestli ostatni Cesi se mnou budou
              >souhlasit, ale pro mne je "pristi stredu" zhruba totez co "pristi
              >tyden ve stredu", pokud je mezi tim vice dni nebo pokud je do konce
              >tydne daleko. Kdyz v patek reknu "pristi stredu", myslim tim stredu
              >pristiho tydne, tedy nejblizsi stredu, ovsem kdyz v nedeli
              >reknu "pristi utery", tak myslim spise od uterka za tyden, ovsem neni
              >to jednoznacne.
              >Jak by to asi vychutnala Vase pani matka?

              This use of "pristi" is just the same as the English use of "next". I
              thought maybe my mother's occasionally eccentric use of "next" in reference
              to days may have been influenced by Czech (which she could not speak but
              which still influenced some of our family's terminology), but I guess it was
              hers alone.

              Jamie
            • Barendregt
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 1 9:05 AM
                Mirek wrote:
                Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If I hear "at the bottom
                of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 = pul jedenacte

                Hi Mirek,

                AFAIK, the 'at the bottom..." phrase is not used with a number - I usually
                hear it on the radio and they would say something like 'traffic updates
                always at the bottom of the hour' or some such thing.

                "11-hundred" is 11 a.m. military time (at least in the US).

                Tom

              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 1 12:56 PM
                  >As far as the first example goes, I have also heard at >some station: Bus AAA
                  > LEAVING AT 11 hundred.
                  > Is it the same or only some local usage?

                  To Americans it sounds like military usage.

                  > Ad "at the bottom ..." - the question is, which XX. If >I hear "at the bottom
                  > of 11", is it 11:30 or 10:30? Remember, in Czech 10:30 >= pul jedenacte

                  You will never hear "at the bottom of 11", because the specific hour is never named. They will say, "at the bottom of the hour", "at the bottom of the next hour", "at the bottom of the last (previous) hour", "at the top and bottom of each hour", but they never name a specific hour by number.