Normostrany

  • Monika
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
      ahoj chtela bych se zeptat, jakym zpusobem pocitate normostrany, kdyz delam
      preklad manualu, kde jsou obrazky, existuje na to nejaky program ktery
      prevede text na normostrany...
      dik Monika
    • Michael Grant
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
        >ahoj chtela bych se zeptat, jakym zpusobem pocitate normostrany, kdyz delam
        >preklad manualu, kde jsou obrazky, existuje na to nejaky program ktery
        >prevede text na normostrany...
        >dik Monika

        A lot of Czech agencies and translators seem to use 1 normostrana =
        30 lines x 60 characters = 1800 characters (including spaces). This
        is NOT equivalent to the JTP definition, in which lines of less than
        60 characters (e.g. titles, ends of paragraphs, etc.) are still
        considered full lines. We once calculated that the average JTP
        normostrana, based on actual documents that my agency had translated,
        came to roughly 1600 characters, or about 275 English words. Still,
        my impression is that 1800 characters is becoming the de facto
        standard.

        Michael

        Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
      • Monika
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
          thank you michael, but how do you coount it if for example you are
          translating a manual with the pictures? do you do it separetely and add the
          pics at the end? how do you count the number of the characters?
          thank you
          monika

          > >ahoj chtela bych se zeptat, jakym zpusobem pocitate normostrany, kdyz
          delam
          > >preklad manualu, kde jsou obrazky, existuje na to nejaky program ktery
          > >prevede text na normostrany...
          > >dik Monika
          >
          > A lot of Czech agencies and translators seem to use 1 normostrana =
          > 30 lines x 60 characters = 1800 characters (including spaces). This
          > is NOT equivalent to the JTP definition, in which lines of less than
          > 60 characters (e.g. titles, ends of paragraphs, etc.) are still
          > considered full lines. We once calculated that the average JTP
          > normostrana, based on actual documents that my agency had translated,
          > came to roughly 1600 characters, or about 275 English words. Still,
          > my impression is that 1800 characters is becoming the de facto
          > standard.
          >
          > Michael
          >
          > --
          > BLUE DANUBE international communication services
          > The Central and East European Language Source!
          > <http://www.bdanube.com>, <mailto:bdanube@...>
          > Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954

          > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > Egroups addresses and URLs will continue to work.

        • Miroslav Herold
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
            Ahoj Moniko,

            pokud prekladas v libovolnem DOC souboru jen texty, a nikoli texty v
            obrazcich, je cesta jednoducha: domluvit se s klientem ze 1 NS (normostrana)
            se rovna 1650 (nebo 1800) znaku vcetne mezer dle statistiky WORD97. Volani
            SOUBOR - VLASTNOSTI - zalozka STATISTICKE UDAJE, a bere se posledni radka
            Znaku (s mezerami)
            Toto cislo vydelene smluvenym poctem a zaokrouhlene nahoru je pak pocet NS.
            Horsi je to, kdyz delas v necem jinem nez ve Wordu. Nicmene i Excel a
            PowerPoint umi spocitat slova - a potom je smluvnim ujednanim stanoven pocet
            slov na 1 NS.
            Doporucena praxe je, toto vse osetrit pred zacatkem prekladu a zakotvit
            pisemne bud do objednavky nebo dohody o cene. Jinak totiz te odberatel bude
            zarucene chtit natahnout, alespon zdejsi agentury maji ten mily zvyk.
            preji hodne stesti ve vyjednavani
            Zdravi
            Mirek
            Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

            tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
            tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
            mobil: 0606 865870

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
              >thank you michael, but how do you coount it if for example you are
              >translating a manual with the pictures? do you do it separetely and add the
              >pics at the end? how do you count the number of the characters?

              Are you talking about text inside the pictures? AFAIK there's no
              easier way than just doing it manually. It might be worth trying to
              save the file as *.txt to see if the illustration text is preserved,
              but it probably won't be.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                no i mean i have a text and pics aside. the text is not in the pics but
                around. i only can think of copying the text only in a separate doc to count
                the characters but it's a bit worky but ok, but if there is something i can
                do it easier way i would like to know about it :o))
                is there any programme for it or do you know some trick?
                thanks
                monika
              • Rachel Thompson
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                  > >thank you michael, but how do you coount it if for example you are
                  > >translating a manual with the pictures? do you do it separetely and add
                  the
                  > >pics at the end? how do you count the number of the characters?
                  >
                  > Are you talking about text inside the pictures? AFAIK there's no
                  > easier way than just doing it manually.

                  Which is an incredible hassle if you have lots of pictures -- it basically
                  means copying all the text out of the picture into a separate Word file,
                  and then counting it. But in a manual with 100 pictures that's so
                  annoying!

                  > It might be worth trying to
                  > save the file as *.txt to see if the illustration text is preserved,
                  > but it probably won't be.

                  No, I tried that when I had a similar problem, and it didn't work -- the
                  text that was in the pictures simply vanished when it was saved as .txt.
                  The way I solved it was to convert the file to PDF using Acrobat
                  Distiller, and then do a wordcount in Acrobat Reader. (For some reason
                  Acrobat Reader does count text that was inside the pictures, whilst Word
                  doesn't.) But this is only an option if you have Distiller. And what's
                  more, Acrobat Reader counts all the headers and footers individually,
                  whereas Word only counts them once. (That could increase your wordcount
                  nicely, but the client might not be too happy... :) )

                  But it's worth a try if you do have the program.

                  Rachel
                • Monika
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                    it is. i work in word and add the pics in thoroughly.
                    i will use miroslav's advice... i will see if it works. otherwise i will
                    count it one by one so noone will cheat me :o))
                    thank you all for your advices.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                      i will try it, but i never have the text in the pics, just around, so its
                      not a problem. actually i will try now and will let you know.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                          >Volani
                          >SOUBOR - VLASTNOSTI - zalozka STATISTICKE UDAJE, a bere se posledni radka
                          >Znaku (s mezerami)

                          The result in the "Properties" count is often different, and to the
                          best of my knowledge less accurate, than using the command Tools ->
                          Word Count (I don't know what the menus and items are called in the
                          localized version).

                          Michael

                          Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
                        • Rachel
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                            > The result in the "Properties" count is often different, and to the
                            > best of my knowledge less accurate, than using the command Tools ->
                            > Word Count (I don't know what the menus and items are called in the
                            > localized version).

                            I heard that too. Why is that?

                            Rachel
                          • Michael Grant
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 27, 2001
                              >I heard that too. Why is that?

                              Ask Bill....

                              --

                              Lou: "Hey, Abbott, I hear that if you play the NT 4.0 CD backward,
                              you get a satanic message."

                              -Anonymous
                            • Vladimir Vitvar
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
                                Hi there,

                                Here's what works for me: I haven't got MS WORD, nor have I ever had it (too
                                costly for what it does). From time to time I use the free Text 602 word
                                processor which counts all the characters, whether out of or inside text
                                frames. Mind you, I'm not talking about the ol' DOS thang, but a component
                                of the 602 Pro Suite 2000a, which is quite an achievement, considering the
                                price ($ 0 ;-)). Even the full version (includes dictionaries, spelling and
                                thesaurus) doesn't exceed Kc 2000.

                                Available for free download here: http://www.software602.cz

                                Hope that helps.

                                Vladimir Vitvar
                                v.vitvar@...
                                http://vitvar.webpark.cz
                              • Helena Iši Nevřelová
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
                                  > Here's what works for me: I haven't got MS WORD, nor have I ever had it
                                  (too
                                  > costly for what it does). From time to time I use the free Text 602 word
                                  > processor which counts all the characters, whether out of or inside text
                                  > frames. Mind you, I'm not talking about the ol' DOS thang, but a component
                                  > of the 602 Pro Suite 2000a, which is quite an achievement, considering the
                                  > price ($ 0 ;-)). Even the full version (includes dictionaries, spelling
                                  and
                                  > thesaurus) doesn't exceed Kc 2000.
                                  >
                                  > Available for free download here: http://www.software602.cz
                                  >
                                  > Hope that helps.
                                  >
                                  > Vladimir Vitvar
                                  > v.vitvar@...
                                  > http://vitvar.webpark.cz

                                  > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                                  > Egroups addresses and URLs will continue to work.

                                • Michal Ginter
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 28, 2001
                                    I always thought that 1 normostrana equalled 1800 characters including
                                    spaces, but several translators here and in Hungary told me that it's
                                    1500 characters. So, I use 1500 characters - go figure. :-)

                                    Anyway, what do you guys do about presentations in Powerpoint? I've
                                    only translated a few of those, and this is how I came up with the
                                    number of pages. I took the word-count from the statistics,
                                    multiplied it by 7 to get the approximate number of characters,
                                    divided it by 1500 to get the number of pages, and charged 50 % more
                                    than I would for a regular file. Any other suggestions?

                                    Michal
                                  • padamek@mbox.dkm.cz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 1 12:05 AM
                                      Moje agentura pocita 3 snimky v Power-Pointu jako jednu normostranu,
                                      coz povazuji za velice vyhodne. Kdyz to zakaznik bere ...
                                      Petr Adamek
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 1 7:19 AM
                                        Hi,

                                        as far as I can recall the original definition of a <normostrana>, it is
                                        made up of 30 <normoradek> [normor^a'dek] (double-spaced lines) while a
                                        <normoradek> is each line on the page, including incomplete lines, such as
                                        headlines, indented paragraphs, and last lines in paragraphs, of the nominal
                                        number of characters 60, including spaces between words. In this definition,
                                        a <normostrana> is also, very much like a <normoradek>, an incomplete page,
                                        typically the last page of a document.

                                        I believe that this definition was originally made to serve typographic
                                        purposes only, that it to quantify text in book printing and suchlike. It
                                        was later adopted by the language translation "pricing standards". I used to
                                        apply this 1,800-character approach at the beginning of the 1990s,
                                        completely independently of anybody, just trying to calculate my
                                        translations' price in a fair manner, basically favourable for the client,
                                        perhaps just to avoid disputes or haggles.

                                        However, this way of quantifying a text has been a dead thing for me since
                                        soon after I observed on Lantra-L that wordcount was a broadly accepted
                                        method. That may have been some five years ago, I can't remember exactly.

                                        Jirka Bolech
                                      • Radovan Pletka
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 1 7:30 AM
                                          Dostal jsem e-mail od JTP:
                                          ===
                                          >Vysel breznovy ToP (56/2001).
                                          >Vzhledem k tomu, ze Ceska posta nas nemilosrdne drrti zvysovanim postovneho,
                                          >jeste vice budeme vdecni kazdemu z Prazaku a okolnich ci prespolnim co cestu
                                          >okolo budou mit, kdyz si sve cislo zajdou vyzvednout. Rozesilat postou
                                          >budeme az po 12. breznu.
                                          ===
                                          a odeplsal jsem jim nasledujici:
                                          ===
                                          Vzhledem ke zvysovani postovneho, zvlaste do ciziny mne napadlo, ze byste
                                          meli nabidnout clenum moznost dostavat casopis jako elektronicky soubor
                                          (Word nebo pdf nebo obe) a oni by si ho vytiskli sami (vy si tim usetrite
                                          penize za postovne a tisteni) - a pokud cast techto uspor date zpet clenum
                                          ve forme o neco levnejsiho predplatneho, zvlaste do ciziny, kde budou
                                          uspory nejvetsi, budou vsichni spokojeni.

                                          Zdravi Radek Pletka
                                          ===

                                          ale vypada to, ze muj e-mail zmizel v nenavratnu. Ale protoze vim, ze par
                                          lidi z JTP cte tuhle skupinu, mozna ze se to k nim dostane takto (-:

                                          Radovan Pletka, Czech and Slovak Services
                                          P.O.Box 11202, Burke, VA 22015, USA
                                          Phone703 323 6659, E-fax 561 423 8233, Mobile phone 703 980 8554
                                          pletka@..., RPletka@..., ICQ: 286 386 96
                                          www.czechtranslation.com - www.jobsfortranslators.com
                                          Publisher of the famous weekly job list for translators/interpreters -Feel
                                          free to request a sample (-:
                                          Subscription $30 per year
                                          (cash, check, VISA, MASTER and AMEX accepted)
                                        • monika@cb.bohem-net.cz
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 1 1:44 PM
                                            Jeste jednou se vracim k normostranam. Diskutovala jsem na toto tema
                                            s agenturou, pro kterou dost casto pracuji. Tato agentura pocita
                                            jednu normostranu tak, ze sice bere 1.800 znaku, ale BEZ mezer.
                                            Oponuji tim, ze se obcas stane, tedy pokud jsou v textu nejake
                                            graficke upravy, ze misto 3 stranek by jich takto s mezerama vzniklo
                                            12. (Nadnesla jsem, ze by se tedy mezery nemusely mezi slovy vubec
                                            psat, kdyz to neni uhoz, ale tvarili se divne). Nadto jeste
                                            nezaokrouhluji na cele stranky, ale plati jenom za "skutecne"
                                            prelozeny text (a to dokonce i v pripade prvni - neboli jedine
                                            stranky), takze clovek prelozi treba 3 vety, zaplati par korun
                                            Telecomu za to, ze to musi stahnout a odeslat, a vysledek je ten, ze
                                            v lepsim pripade nula od nuly pojde. Uz slysim, jak si rikate, proc s
                                            nimi jeste teda vubec delam. Dobra otazka, ale nepatri k tematu
                                            normostran.

                                            Monika C.
                                          • Kostas Zgafas
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Mar 1 2:33 PM
                                              Nadto jeste nezaokrouhluji na cele stranky, ale plati jenom za "skutecne"
                                              > prelozeny text (a to dokonce i v pripade prvni - neboli jedine
                                              > stranky), takze clovek prelozi treba 3 vety, zaplati par korun
                                              > Telecomu za to, ze to musi stahnout a odeslat, a vysledek je ten, ze
                                              > v lepsim pripade nula od nuly pojde.

                                              Standardni praxe je uctovat 1 NS jako minimum, bez ohledu na to, jak je text
                                              kratky.

                                              K.
                                            • Michael Grant
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Mar 1 2:36 PM
                                                >Jeste jednou se vracim k normostranam. Diskutovala jsem na toto tema
                                                >s agenturou, pro kterou dost casto pracuji. Tato agentura pocita
                                                >jednu normostranu tak, ze sice bere 1.800 znaku, ale BEZ mezer.
                                                >Oponuji tim, ze se obcas stane, tedy pokud jsou v textu nejake
                                                >graficke upravy, ze misto 3 stranek by jich takto s mezerama vzniklo
                                                >12. (Nadnesla jsem, ze by se tedy mezery nemusely mezi slovy vubec
                                                >psat, kdyz to neni uhoz, ale tvarili se divne). Nadto jeste
                                                >nezaokrouhluji na cele stranky, ale plati jenom za "skutecne"
                                                >prelozeny text (a to dokonce i v pripade prvni - neboli jedine
                                                >stranky), takze clovek prelozi treba 3 vety, zaplati par korun
                                                >Telecomu za to, ze to musi stahnout a odeslat, a vysledek je ten, ze
                                                >v lepsim pripade nula od nuly pojde. Uz slysim, jak si rikate, proc s
                                                >nimi jeste teda vubec delam. Dobra otazka, ale nepatri k tematu
                                                >normostran.

                                                Your client's attitude is why rates in the Czech and Slovak Republics
                                                are the lowest in Central Europe--substantially lower than in
                                                neighboring countries whose overall average incomes are lower. The
                                                agencies aren't doing themselves any favors by keeping it that way.