Produktovod

  • MK jazykové centrum
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2001
      Zdravim vsechny, nesetkal jste se nekdo s terminem "produktovod"? Prolezl
      jsem vsechny zdroje, ale nic rozumneho me nenapada. Cele spojeni: "Asociace
      stavitelu plynovodu a produktovodu". (mohlo by byt "media lines"
      prijatelne?).
      Dik. Martin Koci
    • zehrovak@dr.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2001
        --- In Czechlist@y..., MK jazykové centrum <koci@m...> wrote:
        > Zdravim vsechny, nesetkal jste se nekdo s terminem "produktovod"?
        Prolezl
        > jsem vsechny zdroje, ale nic rozumneho me nenapada. Cele spojeni:
        "Asociace
        > stavitelu plynovodu a produktovodu". (mohlo by byt "media lines"
        > prijatelne?).
        > Dik. Martin Koci

        Ahoj Martine,

        V Odbornem slovniku ekologie a ochrana zivotniho prostredi od Krivky a
        Ruzicky se slovo 'produktovod' preklada proste jako 'pipeline' a
        koukam, ze na inetu se to pouziva jako vseobecny termin pro vodovody,
        plynovody a ropovody. Neslo by to v tomto kontextu napsat 'gas and
        other types of pipelines'?

        S pozdravem,

        Melvyn
      • zehrovak@dr.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2001
          --- In Czechlist@y..., zehrovak@d... wrote:
          Neslo by to v tomto kontextu napsat 'gas and
          > other types of pipelines'?
          >
          > S pozdravem,
          >
          > Melvyn

          ...anebo - kdyz 'produktovod' je hyperonym, ktery zahrnuje pojem
          'plynovod', proste napsat "Association of Pipeline Builders' a bude po
          prdeli...?

          M.
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27, 2001
            >Cele spojeni: "Asociace
            >stavitelu plynovodu a produktovodu". (mohlo by byt "media lines"
            >prijatelne?).

            I've never seen the expression "media line", but if I did, I'd assume
            it was probably fiber-optic cable or some other kind of broadband
            telecom cable. IINM, a "produktovod" is a pipeline. Beyond that, I'm
            afraid I'm not conversant with the taxonomy of pipelines in English,
            but I think you either have a generic pipeline or you have to specify
            exactly what "produkt" it carries. Nevertheless, for the name of the
            Asociace, I think you should be fairly safe with "Association of Gas
            and Oil Pipeline Builders". (Or maybe I'm not being imaginative
            enough--what else do pipelines carry besides gas and petroleum
            products--water? Would a water pipeline be a produktovod?)

            Michael

            Tel. (+1-512) 336-8911, Fax (+1-512) 336-8954
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 27, 2001
              >Neslo by to v tomto kontextu napsat 'gas and
              >other types of pipelines'

              Association of Gas and Other Types of Pipeline Builders???

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                Michale wrote <<Nevertheless, for the name of the
                Asociace, I think you should be fairly safe with "Association of Gas
                and Oil Pipeline Builders". (Or maybe I'm not being imaginative
                enough--what else do pipelines carry besides gas and petroleum
                products--water? Would a water pipeline be a produktovod?)>>

                Thanks Melvyn and Michael for your proposals - I got to reading them as late
                as today. In fact, I can´t imagine other media than oil, gas and water. But
                for water you have "water-conduit/water main (any difference?)", for gas
                there is "pipeline/pipe-line" and for oil "pipeline". Could the roof word be
                just "product line"? Sounds ambiguous, but the same in Czech.
                Martin Koci
              • zehrovak@dr.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                  --- In Czechlist@y..., MK jazykové centrum <koci@m...> wrote:
                  > Michale wrote <<Nevertheless, for the name of the
                  > Asociace, I think you should be fairly safe with "Association of Gas
                  > and Oil Pipeline Builders". (Or maybe I'm not being imaginative
                  > enough--what else do pipelines carry besides gas and petroleum
                  > products--water? Would a water pipeline be a produktovod?)>>
                  >
                  > Thanks Melvyn and Michael for your proposals - I got to reading them
                  as late
                  > as today. In fact, I can´t imagine other media than oil, gas and
                  water.

                  Check out

                  http://www.pipemag.com/pipeline_directory/y.htm

                  A freely accessible and unique Internet-based reference source to
                  companies and organizations in the oil, gas, water, wastewater,
                  pigging and associated on-shore and off-shore pipeline industries
                  world-wide.

                  But
                  > for water you have "water-conduit/water main (any difference?)",

                  From the Water Management Dictionary by Plechacova: Conduit =
                  privadec, privadeci potrubi; 'main(s)' = potrubni rad, hlavni potrubi,
                  hlavni magistralni kanal.

                  for gas there is "pipeline/pipe-line" and for oil "pipeline". Could
                  the roof
                  word be
                  > just "product line"?

                  No. I'd say this would just confuse the reader. 'Pipeline' is as good
                  an umbrella word as any IMHO as can be seen at the above Pipeline
                  Directory site.

                  M.

                  If you are searching for any of the following topics:

                  Pipeline Industry Directory

                  Pipeline Services

                  Pipeline Contractors

                  Pipeline Companies

                  Look No further. You'll find a wealth of information on the
                  pipeline industry in the
                  World-Wide Pipeline Industry Directory
                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2001
                    >Could the roof word be
                    >just "product line"?

                    Neither "product line" nor "product pipeline" would refer to an
                    actual literal pipeline, AFAIK.