Hi Vlada [was: Kolaudace]

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2000

      >From: "Vladimir Vitvar" <v.vitvar@...>
      >
      >I liked Todd using "infrastructure" for "inz'enyrske site'". This is what I
      >once used and no-one grumbled :). I suppose it is the media term for that,
      >too.

      Hi Vlada,

      By Jove, you're right - "buried infrastructure" is the specific term that is
      often used, e.g.:

      Badger has developed a hydrovac daylighting system designed to minimize the
      difficulties associated with exposing underground pipelines, utilities and
      other buried infrastructure.

      From a previous posting:

      >Been a pro translator since 1996, an
      English teacher since 1993.

      I've invited a few other English teacher colleagues to join this list - I
      feel that language
      teachers and translators have a lot to learn from each other (and I have
      found that inside
      many language teachers there is a translator screaming to get out - don't
      know if the reverse
      is true, mind). I use translation exercises in my adult classes quite a lot
      (I am glad to see that
      this is less frowned upon these days than it was in the early nineties) and
      the students seem
      to appreciate it. Do you use translation exercises much in your teaching?

      >I rarely do any literary stuff, more
      educational, not so much technical, often spiritual.

      You might by chance be interested in this English-language critique of a
      Czech
      translation of the Bible that I came across recently - don't know if this is
      your dance floor:

      http://www.cestapanujiciho.cz/en/pfaceng.htm#bI

      >enjoy this list and hope we can really learn from each other.

      8 )

      Melvyn