Re: [Czechlist] Re: Kolaudace

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000

      >Hi all,
      >I had hard time with these terms as well, but some time ago I come to
      >rather
      >long and clumsy term for "kolaudace" = "building acceptance
      >procedures/proceedings", "kolaudacni rizeni" could be "official building
      >acceptance procedure". Anything better?

      Hmmmm, I think Michael has a good description with this "occupancy permit".
      Never thought of that.

      >Couldn�t "prejimka" be just "acceptance"?
      Right - so "prejimaci rizeni" would be "acceptance procedure". Maybe if you
      changed your "building acceptance procedure" to "building approval
      procedure" there would be less chance of confusion between the two. (co -
      laudere = s - chvaleni, right? :))

      >Any ideas for "inzenyrske site"? I wouldn�t subscribe for "buried services"

      > > I would use "utility lines".
      > >
      > > Tom
      >
      >I think "utility" is great. I would just change "lines" to "network".
      >

      >I disagree. "Utility network" makes me think of an entire national or
      >regional power grid (or whatever other utility), not something on a
      >local level. I'm with Tom on "utility lines" (in fact I was going to
      >suggest exactly that myself before I saw his reply).

      But surely there is no problem in having a local network (as in LAN)? I did
      hesitate over "network" myself though for a different reason - sounds OK for
      telecommunications and possible for electricity but I'm not so sure about a
      gas network - I'd prefer something like a supply system for that.

      How about - underground utilities ???

      Melvyn
    • Todd Hammond
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000
        Greetings, everyone

        A koloudace, which I have experienced "on my own skin", I understand as an
        inspection. At the koloudace of our reconstructed shop building were several
        officials from various agencies like hygiene, fire, water, gas, etc. (the
        "engineers' net", or [local] infrastructure). The date and time of the
        inspection were set by I forgot who, but there we all were: the building
        contractor; me with my 12 permits/affadavits/certificates/construction
        licenses, building plans, and the like; they with their certificates,
        stamps, and more or less strict visages. (In my case at least, no bribes
        were asked for or given). It was a big event, almost a ceremony, which I
        would refer to as [inspection], [inspection day], or [inspection for
        occupancy permit] - the number and type of adjectives connected to
        [inspection] depending of course on the context, whether or not it's already
        clear what the inspection is for, etc.

        Todd Hammond

        >>I had hard time with these terms as well, but some time ago I come to
        >>rather
        >>long and clumsy term for "kolaudace" = "building acceptance
        >>procedures/proceedings", "kolaudacni rizeni" could be "official building
        >>acceptance procedure". Anything better?
        >
        >Hmmmm, I think Michael has a good description with this "occupancy permit".
        >Never thought of that.
        >

        >>Couldn´t "prejimka" be just "acceptance"?
        >Right - so "prejimaci rizeni" would be "acceptance procedure". Maybe if you
        >changed your "building acceptance procedure" to "building approval
        >procedure" there would be less chance of confusion between the two. (co -
        >laudere = s - chvaleni, right? :))
        >>
        >>Any ideas for "inzenyrske site"? I wouldn´t subscribe for "buried
        services"

        >> > I would use "utility lines".
        >> >
        >> > Tom
        >>
        >>I think "utility" is great. I would just change "lines" to "network".
        >>

        >>I disagree. "Utility network" makes me think of an entire national or
        >>regional power grid (or whatever other utility), not something on a
        >>local level. I'm with Tom on "utility lines" (in fact I was going to
        >>suggest exactly that myself before I saw his reply).
        >>

        >But surely there is no problem in having a local network (as in LAN)? I did
        >hesitate over "network" myself though for a different reason - sounds OK
        for
        >telecommunications and possible for electricity but I'm not so sure about a
        >gas network - I'd prefer something like a supply system for that.
        >
        >How about - underground utilities ???
        >
        >Melvyn

        >PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
        >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
        >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
        >Apply NOW!
        >
        >Czech<>English translation resources page:
        >
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist
        >
        >Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com

      • Vladimir Vitvar
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2000
          I liked Todd using "infrastructure" for "inz'enyrske site'". This is what I
          once used and no-one grumbled :). I suppose it is the media term for that,
          too.

          Cheers,
          Vladimir Vitvar
          v.vitvar@...