Re: [Czechlist] Re: Kolaudace

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000
      >I think "utility" is great. I would just change "lines" to "network".

      I disagree. "Utility network" makes me think of an entire national or
      regional power grid (or whatever other utility), not something on a
      local level. I'm with Tom on "utility lines" (in fact I was going to
      suggest exactly that myself before I saw his reply).

      Michael
      mailto:bdanube@...
      (+1-817) 577-5239
    • Melvyn Clarke
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000

        >Hi all,
        >I had hard time with these terms as well, but some time ago I come to
        >rather
        >long and clumsy term for "kolaudace" = "building acceptance
        >procedures/proceedings", "kolaudacni rizeni" could be "official building
        >acceptance procedure". Anything better?

        Hmmmm, I think Michael has a good description with this "occupancy permit".
        Never thought of that.

        >Couldn�t "prejimka" be just "acceptance"?
        Right - so "prejimaci rizeni" would be "acceptance procedure". Maybe if you
        changed your "building acceptance procedure" to "building approval
        procedure" there would be less chance of confusion between the two. (co -
        laudere = s - chvaleni, right? :))

        >Any ideas for "inzenyrske site"? I wouldn�t subscribe for "buried services"

        > > I would use "utility lines".
        > >
        > > Tom
        >
        >I think "utility" is great. I would just change "lines" to "network".
        >

        >I disagree. "Utility network" makes me think of an entire national or
        >regional power grid (or whatever other utility), not something on a
        >local level. I'm with Tom on "utility lines" (in fact I was going to
        >suggest exactly that myself before I saw his reply).

        But surely there is no problem in having a local network (as in LAN)? I did
        hesitate over "network" myself though for a different reason - sounds OK for
        telecommunications and possible for electricity but I'm not so sure about a
        gas network - I'd prefer something like a supply system for that.

        How about - underground utilities ???

        Melvyn
      • Todd Hammond
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2000
          Greetings, everyone

          A koloudace, which I have experienced "on my own skin", I understand as an
          inspection. At the koloudace of our reconstructed shop building were several
          officials from various agencies like hygiene, fire, water, gas, etc. (the
          "engineers' net", or [local] infrastructure). The date and time of the
          inspection were set by I forgot who, but there we all were: the building
          contractor; me with my 12 permits/affadavits/certificates/construction
          licenses, building plans, and the like; they with their certificates,
          stamps, and more or less strict visages. (In my case at least, no bribes
          were asked for or given). It was a big event, almost a ceremony, which I
          would refer to as [inspection], [inspection day], or [inspection for
          occupancy permit] - the number and type of adjectives connected to
          [inspection] depending of course on the context, whether or not it's already
          clear what the inspection is for, etc.

          Todd Hammond

          >>I had hard time with these terms as well, but some time ago I come to
          >>rather
          >>long and clumsy term for "kolaudace" = "building acceptance
          >>procedures/proceedings", "kolaudacni rizeni" could be "official building
          >>acceptance procedure". Anything better?
          >
          >Hmmmm, I think Michael has a good description with this "occupancy permit".
          >Never thought of that.
          >

          >>Couldn´t "prejimka" be just "acceptance"?
          >Right - so "prejimaci rizeni" would be "acceptance procedure". Maybe if you
          >changed your "building acceptance procedure" to "building approval
          >procedure" there would be less chance of confusion between the two. (co -
          >laudere = s - chvaleni, right? :))
          >>
          >>Any ideas for "inzenyrske site"? I wouldn´t subscribe for "buried
          services"

          >> > I would use "utility lines".
          >> >
          >> > Tom
          >>
          >>I think "utility" is great. I would just change "lines" to "network".
          >>

          >>I disagree. "Utility network" makes me think of an entire national or
          >>regional power grid (or whatever other utility), not something on a
          >>local level. I'm with Tom on "utility lines" (in fact I was going to
          >>suggest exactly that myself before I saw his reply).
          >>

          >But surely there is no problem in having a local network (as in LAN)? I did
          >hesitate over "network" myself though for a different reason - sounds OK
          for
          >telecommunications and possible for electricity but I'm not so sure about a
          >gas network - I'd prefer something like a supply system for that.
          >
          >How about - underground utilities ???
          >
          >Melvyn

          >PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
          >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
          >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
          >Apply NOW!
          >
          >Czech<>English translation resources page:
          >
          > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist
          >
          >Community email addresses:
          > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
          > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com

        • Vladimir Vitvar
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2000
            I liked Todd using "infrastructure" for "inz'enyrske site'". This is what I
            once used and no-one grumbled :). I suppose it is the media term for that,
            too.

            Cheers,
            Vladimir Vitvar
            v.vitvar@...